Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Modem and sound issues

• Please log in to reply

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
hello all today I have a issue (obviously) I ordered a new HDD off of newegg.com the western digital caviar blue 320 GB to put in my computer right next to the old hard drive.The old hard drive has vista on it alright but gaming lags and wanted XP with its own space to chill and got the drive yesterday didn't come with the data cable which sucks so used the old drives cable hooked up formatted the drive and installed XP.So I get to the desktop thinking its ready to go so open up IE 6 so I can download firefox come to find out internet was not setup so I go to internet and network connections go to always connected > use a modem no sign in and it says modem should already be set up and looked and XP did not read my modem it did this when I dual booted XP a few months ago my friend suggested downloading the drivers for both the sound and modem the thing is I only have 1 data cable and flat broke so I can't buy a thumb drive so do you guys got any idea?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You will need to buy something if you want it to work.
I would suggest the data cable.
I am assuming you are swapping the data cable between the 2 hard drives depending on which drive you want to use. Doing so is a recipe for disaster. You will break/ bend something.

The data cables are $5 to $15 US

Look in device manager and see if you are missing any drivers, and if so, which ones.

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
yea I know this is what I'm using to make due until I have 5$ lol anyways under device manager there is nothing for modem no drop down no nothing

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
UPDATE: I got the drive .exe in vista put on disc booted XP and installed drivers now it reads my Modem woot I thought so I tried opening IE again and same message and go through set up connection again it states that if your using a DSL or cable modem should be already configured go to broadband connections for more detail then went to network connections there are no connections set up and you can't set up a cable modem to use I tried unplugging it from the PC jack for a min plugged in nothing un plugged the power for modem and nothing tried rebooting XP and still nothin I have no clue whats wrong with it

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
so no one can help?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So the problem is dual booting or that the internet doesn't work on the XP drive?

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
internet on the XP drive.XP boots perfect

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
When you installed XP did you let it setup the network?

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
hmm I do not recall does it automatically or do I need to intervene

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It would ask if you want to setup the network.
You have to tell it to.
A dsl or cable connection normally would use ethernet to connect to your system.
Being that then the network would have to be setup for the system to see the modem or router.

Advertisements

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
which I have plugged in right now and XP has my modem drivers but maybe it some how is not seeing my actual modem? oh! I got another Idea maybe I'll go into add hardware and setup another modem because I have the drivers installed will that help?

Computer Guy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can try that but check and make sure the network is setup as it is needed for the OS to see the modem since it is connected to the nic card I'm sure.

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
How would I check this? by going into network connections? for sure there will be nothing there checked maybe a thousand times (bad exaggeration)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes it should be under network connections in the control panel. You would be looking for something like in XP named Local Area Network
If not you may want to use the network setup wizard.

Computer Guy AJ

Computer Guy AJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
will it say set up internet to or this that a seperate wizard?