Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Am I screwed?

• Please log in to reply

JEsSeSS

JEsSeSS

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey all,
I'm sitting here freaking out a little bit, and I was wondering if anyone here could help. Here's the lowdown:
I'm 16 years old, and recently I pirated a modern PC game. It was dumb, yes. But I really don't want to get any people trying to correct my morals, believe you me, they stand corrected. Anyway, about a week ago (the 30th of Sep.) my mom got an email from our internet provider (a little local magnet company to at&t) from a company that owns the copyrights to the game I downloaded. I only found out about this a week later. The email says they don't know who i am but they have my IP on file. So... I frantically opened up utorrent, stopped seeding (i hadn't been, just for a few seconds when i opened it up to close it) and then uninstalled the game, and deleted it from my computer (yeah i emptied the recycle bin.) So... what now? How much trouble am I in? It shouldn't be too much... I'm a kid that pirated a game, tons of people do it. Doesn't make it right, I understand, but this isn't going to be a thousand of dollar lawsuit is it? Please let me know if I should be freaking out a lot or a little. I also repeat that it has been a week since this email was sent to us.
Thanks so much, and I really hope this isn't infringing upon the rules of these forums.
Thanks,
Jesse

Edited by JEsSeSS, 07 October 2009 - 10:32 PM.

Advertisements

knutm

knutm

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, no simple answer to this. But to my knowledge, they will usually give you a warning before going into a lawsuit. If they are trying to do you for pirating 1 game, the cost involved would be too substantial for them to gain anything. However, it also depends on how much you have been sharing it, rather than you using it. It could help to clarify this issue, as that is a wholly different matter. You said you had been seeding it on utorrent, so that might be the issue.

But the legislation on this is so vague and varies greatly from place to place. I.e, Sweden tried to reign it in by issuing fines to alot of people who had been deemed to be sharing licensced software/music,etc. However, other countries have had their isp protected from the prying eyes of companies gaining access to any of their data on users.

JEsSeSS

JEsSeSS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Well, no simple answer to this. But to my knowledge, they will usually give you a warning before going into a lawsuit. If they are trying to do you for pirating 1 game, the cost involved would be too substantial for them to gain anything. However, it also depends on how much you have been sharing it, rather than you using it. It could help to clarify this issue, as that is a wholly different matter. You said you had been seeding it on utorrent, so that might be the issue.

But the legislation on this is so vague and varies greatly from place to place. I.e, Sweden tried to reign it in by issuing fines to alot of people who had been deemed to be sharing licensced software/music,etc. However, other countries have had their isp protected from the prying eyes of companies gaining access to any of their data on users.

Thanks, that is what I had guessed. And as for seeding, i doubt i did that for more than a few hours.