Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer stops (freezes)

• Please log in to reply

mrsoler

mrsoler

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hey all,
My computer totally stops, unresponsive, not even a blue screen, mainly after 80-90% of a full virus scan (McAffee), though it has happened during other heavy use (ex: during WOW). I have to push the reset button to get it to re-boot. I even got a registry cleaner, to no avail. I use AdAware and Spybot with no problems. I have not been able to complete a full virus scan in months! Help?

Edited by Rorschach112, 08 October 2009 - 05:34 AM.
removed clean log

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Your log is clean, how long have you had McAfee for ? I'd say that is responsible, always causes a lot of problems

mrsoler

mrsoler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Ug, have had McCaffee for a few years now. I was thinking that maybe I might be having an over heating problem with serious crunching. This weekend I am going to open the case to add more memory, but I'll power it up and see if all the various fans are working.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Try run the mcafee scan in safe mode, does it finish there ?

The registry cleaner you used may have caused some damage as well

mrsoler

mrsoler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
A couple of weeks ago (before I got the registry cleaner)I booted into safe mode and it did not complete a scan either.