Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100% CPU usage caused by avgemc.eve *32?

• Please log in to reply

kk21

kk21

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Like yepimonfire, who posted earlier today, I'm getting 100% CPU usage. Task Master shows up to 99% usage by avgemc.exe *32, which I gather is the email scanner in AVG (I have version 8.5.421).

I have sent two help requests to AVG in the last week, replied both times to their automated request for more information, and have received no help at all.

My laptop takes up to a minute to process any keystroke if I have Outlook 2007 running, so I am now working with it turned off. If I want to send an email I have to reboot, keep all other programs closed, write the email and then wait for a L-O-N-G time for the system to send the email. Receiving emails takes even longer at an average speed of 0.01 Kb/sec or slower (frozen for long periods of time). As someone who loves to multitask, this is driving me nuts.

Procexp.txt attached.

Attached Files

Advertisements

ImranQ

ImranQ

• Pip
  • 9 posts
You could always try using avast! anti virus scanner.

I never got that problem when I was using AVG though.

kk21

kk21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have the full AVG Internet Security package with all the bells and whistles and have had no problems at all with it until now. My husband has the same package on his laptop and it's working fine for him. I also don't see a stream of complaints about this issue on the web.

So I'm wondering if it's a Vista 64-bit related problem (my husband is on Vista 32-bit) or an Outlook 2007 issue.

Edited by kk21, 08 October 2009 - 07:08 AM.

kk21

kk21

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Finally heard from AVG, who assigned a techie to remotely view my laptop and assess the problem (a new service they are offering, at no charge for now). The solution? Zap the old version of AVG and reinstall. CP usage is down to normal levels and everything works fine now. Great service from AVG, although it took them over a week to respond to my cries for help. The even upgraded me from Internet Security version 8.5 to the new version 9.0 at no extra cost.

Edited by kk21, 10 October 2009 - 03:48 PM.