Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet slows down

• Please log in to reply

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
hey all,

For about 10-15 minutes my internet runs smoothly, but after that theres a 1-3 sec lag spike like that happens constantly until I restart my pc.
I know its not virus related because my av software don't display any viruses.
I'm thinking its related to my drivers which I have no idea how to set-up. I've used programs such as radarsync and driver detective to help point out specifically which drivers and I've gotten the following...

nvidia network bus enumerator
nvidia mcp61 serial ata controller

How would I go about updating the above? Any help or pointing in the right direction would be highly appreciated.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
neither of the two devices you listed would do much to help your network speeds

how do you connect to the internet? DSL? Cable? Dialup? do you have a router or just plug in to the modem? wireless? wired?

Bosscoe

Bosscoe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
hey dsenette,

I'm using DSL and yes I use a router wired through my ethernet.
Also do you think it could be related to my graphics card ?
my filehippo checker tells me that I need to update the following...

"NVIDIA Forceware 191.07 WHQL XP"

I have no idea what that is.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it can't hurt to update your graphics driver....just make sure you go to the nvidia website to get the most current driver and not from anywhere else...nvidia has a driver identification tool somewhere on their site that can identify your card for you and select the proper driver

i don't think the graphics card is causing your network to slow down though

you could try to update your ethernet card drivers as well

however....just because your AV isn't telling you you've got a virus doesn't mean you don't

Please read the Malware/Spyware cleaning guide here follow the instructions at the top....

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post an OTL log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting OTL logs or ANY other logs requested in the malware/spyware cleaning guide in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post any of these logs in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..