Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard typing random characters

• Please log in to reply

A.M.D.

A.M.D.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've read some threads here, but they don't seem to match my problem exactly.

My keyboard is typing random characters in OpenOffice Word, Notepad, Corel PSP, and Thunderbird, but not here in a field on a web page or in a searchbox or location bar in a browser.

I have run AV using ZoneAlarm's Kaspersky engine along with a doublecheck from MicroTrend's HouseCall. Nothing showed up.

If I reboot the system, the problem seems to reset and go away for awhile. I suspected the keyboard, but that would not explain why the problem exists in some programs and not others.

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium with SP 2. I have a Dell Vostro 200.

Thoughts?

Edited by A.M.D., 08 October 2009 - 07:46 AM.

Advertisements

saberdaddy

saberdaddy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I seem to have the same problem...my keyboard also generates random characters in Windows applications like Notepad or Windows Explorer, but have absolutely no problems in Internet Explorer. If I reboot, the problem seems to be fixed initially, but after awhile it starts happening again until I reboot. I am running Windows XP sp3 on a Vostro 410. Problem seemed to pop up a few weeks ago, but haven't been able to find much on google about this symptom.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi guys ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
first ...always start your own thread...although your problems may appear similar they can have totally opposite solutions because of unique hardware or software installed on your system...
the obvious thing to try first is a wired keyboard...does not really matter if its a PS/2 or usb style...
just a known good keyboard..

saberdaddy

saberdaddy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the tip with starting new threads. Makes sense.

As I re-read AMD's thread I noticed he also uses Zonealarm and wondered if that may be a common thread. After more research on Zonealarm forum, it appears many users have reported this issue as a result of having Zonealarm Extreme "anti-keylogging" feature turned on. As soon as I turned it off the problem disappeared.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

As I re-read AMD's thread I noticed he also uses Zonealarm and wondered if that may be a common thread. After more research on Zonealarm forum, it appears many users have reported this issue as a result of having Zonealarm Extreme "anti-keylogging" feature turned on. As soon as I turned it off the problem disappeared.

another good reason to have your own thread...you found your solution for your system yourself ...great work :) and I learned from your research as a bonus
but I bet A.M.D. solution is totally different...