Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor screen isn't working right after installing more RAM

• Please log in to reply

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi. I'm running XP SP3 at the moment.

I had a 256MB RAM memory before and because that wasn't enough, I decided to add another 1GB RAM in there. To make sure the RAM was installed correctly, I right-clicked on My Computer > Properties and it shows that I now have 1.18GB of RAM.

But then I have this bloody problem where the monitor screen would move about every 2 minutes or so. When I said "move", it doesn't mean it would go left or right. It's like the screen is doing a self-focus just like on some TV you would see.

So my question is, is this because of the RAM that I've installed? Is there a way to fix it? Please guide me. Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello overclick.cn.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

Try taking the 256 module out and just running the 1 gig memory.
It may be caused by the mismatched and most likely the speed difference in the memory.
Can you provide more system specs like
Make and model
Motherboard make and model if not name brand system
memory specs.
Did you use a memory configuration online to make sure you got compatible memory for your system?

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi. Sorry for the late reply. I'll try to remove the RAM and see it that helps.

Also, my motherboard is Biostar P4M80-M4 Version 7. I read the owner's manual and found the correct memory for it, which was NEW 1GB DDR 400Mhz 184PIN PC3200 128X64 NON ECC RAM (low density).

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
After removing the old RAM and just running the new RAM, the monitor screen doesn't seem to move anymore so I guess my problem is solved. Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations and we will continue to monitor your topic for a few days to make sure everything is working to your satisfaction.
:) :)

overclick.cn

overclick.cn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
oh wait, I thought removing the RAM solved the problem but it actually didn't. I was using my laptop for the past few days so I didn't really notice that my problem has not been solved. But there's one other thing that I notice about my monitor: it also does the self-focus thing when connected to other PCs. I think the problem is that the monitor is dying, or am I wrong? Is there a way to test it? Thanks.