Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply

shellbell36252

shellbell36252

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Since installing service pack 3 I have had many issues with my computer. Everything that I try to do on the computer takes forever...system is super super slow. I get errors alot and have even had system crashes with the blue screen of death. Have been able to get it back up and going by using the xp cd and using the chkdsk /r. I am tired of the constant fight and I have been told that I should remove sp3 since none of this started until it was installed. I have tried doing this through add/remove programs and get a file missing error and then when you click ok it tells me that it was not uninstalled. I have tried the other 2 methods that microsoft has listed on their site to try and remove it and I get the same error response. The only one I haven't tried is through the recovery console and I am afraid that it won't work since the other 3 methods haven't worked :) . In regards to the file missing error, is there a log file that I can look at to see exactly what file is missing and if so where would the log file be located. Maybe if I know what file is missing it might help in figuring out how to get sp3 off my computer. I don't know what else to do other than a restore and I really don't wont to do that. Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure if this will help you:

Re: service pack 3 problem

Microsoft - Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

Never tried this: Online Assisted Support Options

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer

You cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8 after you install Windows XP Service Pack 3

Release Notes for Windows XP Service Pack 3

I'm now using Vista, but do have 1 machine in storage that has XP. I chose not to install SP3 at all.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to install SP-3 again, using the instructions given by Major Payne (Microsoft -Steps to take before you install sp-3). If the computer works well then you are lucky. If not, try to uninstall it in safe mode. If not successful back up your data and clean format.

shellbell36252

shellbell36252

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I will try the reinstall and let you know what happens. Thanks for the advice.

Yudi

Yudi

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
My laptop has windows XP Pro with SP3, no problem so far.