Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

External TV tuner config?

• Please log in to reply

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
This is what I have:

http://www.geniatech...a/lcdsupera.htm

My computer has no VGA ports, is there anyway to set this up so I don't have to plug directly into the monitor every time I want to use it? (without using a splitter/switchbox)also I can get the sound to go through my soundcard and out the speakers but can't stop it from playing without turning of the TV tuner. (in other words, I want to be able to switch back and forth between TV and using my computer without plugging/unplugging anything)

Dell XPS
Vista - Home premium
crossfire video cards

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

My computer has no VGA ports

then how do you connect to your monitor now?

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
DVI port... Its crossfire so I have 2 DVI ports and no VGA

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Or for the TV tuner I can connect directly to the monitor with VGA cable

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
right....just looking at the device to see what would make sense....it LOOKS like if you're wanting to pass your computer through the box as a secondary input that you'd connect it's custom VGA cable over to your computer....since you don't have a vga port you could get a DVI to VGA converter (your video card may have actually come with one)...and go that route?

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Thats what I've been trying. It just detects the TV tuner as another monitor and doesn't let me do anything with it.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
It sounds like you need a switchbox, but you said that you don't want that. I suspect there is a video card which will have a VGA input so that you can take the video from that box and bring it into the computer.

No matter what you do, you are going to have to buy something. Perhaps buying a tuner card would be a good idea. Use the current box to make a monitor into a TV elsewhere. I have a Viewsonic tuner which does what you want. It has multiple inputs and the output is to a monitor. One of the inputs is from a computer. This allows you to select the TV tuner, the computer, or RCA input or S-video input. You would still need to buy something though.

oyzomagno

oyzomagno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey thanks,

I didn't research TV tuners much before buying one... Just found a cheap one on Amazon, so I guess I'll just have to deal with it now. heh

And thanks for the fast replies!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yeah i think that's what the problem is...is that you've got a stand alone TV tuner...when what you want is a PC tv tuner card...they have PCI ones, PCIE ones and USB TV tuners for your computer....which would basically just give your computer a TV antenna port and let your computer decide how to display it