Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing or corrupt ...System32\hal.dll

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did it come up with a prompt asking which windows to boot to?

Advertisements

Mattock

Mattock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi

Yes, I tried all of them and got the same result. Maybe I should put a new installation on the c:\drive and start again, bit of a pain in the proverbial, most of the files I want are on the d:\ - less painful?

Any other ideas welcome, if not I'll just have to bite the bullet!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well at this point I think format and install fresh.
Less problems that way. Since you have data saved on a seperate drive then just installing the programs should be a snap.
I'm sorry I couldn't get you back up with the existing OS but at this point we have tried everything to repair or replace and it still will not work.
Please let me know how everything turns out when everything is done.

Mattock

Mattock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I think you are right, just dreading re-installing the software etc. Many thanks for giving up your time on this, I really appreciate your efforts and on a Sunday too. I'll let you know how it goes.

As a matter of interest, you say this happens a lot - is it therefore worth avoiding SP3 or was I just unlucky?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have been running SP3 since it first came out with no problem.
Others have problems from the start. I think it may just be the system really as the update doesn't change from system to system.
It also may be what is on the system prior to the update.
As for my time, I enjoy this and I just wish I could do more.
I suggest getting the core of the system up first
Then do your most used apps next.
This will at least get you to a point of not being in a hurry with the apps you don't use as much but want.
I had to format my system in Feb due to a bad virus.
A hour later I was up and running and then just took my time for a couple of days putting non essential apps back in.
Please keep me informed as I really want to make sure you get back up and running again.
Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Mattock

Mattock

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi again

Up and running, fresh install on c:\, everything important safe on D:\ (and now backed-up to external HD as well!). Going back over for Ror's advice on final clean-up!!

Thanks again for everything.

I hope I never have to trouble you again, but if I ever have a problem like this sgain, I'll know where to come.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I am very happy everything is working now.
As far as bothering me, please don't feel that way as this is what we all are here for.
We all enjoy doing this and your thanks is all we ask for.
Please let us know how everything goes and if you do need help in the future please feel free to return. Even if it is just for a checkup for your system. :) :) :)