Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Controlling pc time from router ?

• Please log in to reply

pfrad

pfrad

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi There all , I have a pc in a childs room, and I want to be able to curtail internet activity at certain times, is there a way of doing this through the home router, or any other way if someone knows.
Thanks

Advertisements

Ppillman

Ppillman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
What brand and model of router do you have? Some routers you can, others don't have such customizations.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might take a look through all the listed Parental Control software. Some do more than just allow you to set on/off times. You can have your child's emails sent to you, record every outgoing/incoming IM plus keystrokes. Be sure to set a good password so the child can not override it.

Parental Control & Monitoring

VinnyTAMU

VinnyTAMU

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Hi There all , I have a pc in a childs room, and I want to be able to curtail internet activity at certain times, is there a way of doing this through the home router, or any other way if someone knows.
Thanks

Most routers sold for home use (that I have seen) have options to restrict specific internal IP addresses, MAC addresses, or physical ports to only talking to the internet at set time intervals.

Also a free way to keep your children from going to *bad* websites is to use OpenDNS.

sundaypark

sundaypark

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Install parental control software on your kid's computer,then you can control ,restrict and record access and usage of the PC. Such software I know is SentryPC,it's the professional parental control software so you can trust it.Hope this help.

Tree Newbie

Tree Newbie

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Put the PC in the living room instead of his own room.
If you still feel anxious, just install a parental control software to set the online time-out