Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPUs & Motherboards

• Please log in to reply

Gribble

Gribble

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So I'm building a PC. I do this every few years or so.

And every few years or so I reach the same empasse.

When it comes to CPUs and motherboards I'm always confused. And let's face it, CPUs and motherboards don't get quite the same coverage as everything else. It seems that when I search for information whatever I find is dated by a year or so, and in this world last month's tech is showing its age.

So here's what I want: a solid gaming rig. I'm getting a Radeon HD 5850, a nice chunk of ram, etc, etc.

What should I look for in the CPU and motherboard departments? Bear in mind that I'm not interested in being on the cutting edge. I can live with a coputer that's three tenth's of a second slower if it saves me $200.

Specific recommendations are welcome, but as the old saying goes, give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat all day drinking beer--or something like that. What I'd really like is some advice that will help me pick components today and again in three years when I'm looking to build anew.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Witzy

Witzy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well to be honest, as soon as any hardware hits the shelf it's outdated.

What do you want to spend? If all you're doing is gaming then I'd probably go with a juicy dual core. Also, you said you do this often so I am sure you know newegg.com, if so they do have mobo/cpu packages as well. Do you prefer AMD or Intel?