Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can not install any windows updates, drivers - win xp pro

• Please log in to reply

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
how would I do that? and nothing on the system needs to be saved

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I cant boot from CD. It says failure to find boot log or whatever

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
i've done this. not working

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What's not working?
You can't get into the bios
Settings are not holding?
Message not showing?
Is your cd a full retail version or a upgrade?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Are you not getting the message "Push Any Key To Boot To Cd"?
You have to tell us what you have done/ not done!
You leave us clueless.

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
True. Sorry, It's not giving me the message "Push Any Key To Boot To Cd" I get failure to find bootlog instead then it boots from the hard drive. i've set it to boot Just the CD and that still does not work, I'm almost thinking of getting a new hard drive and do a Clean new install.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are not getting the message then you can only have a couple of reasons why.
The bios is not set correctly to boot to the cdrom first.
The cd you are using is not bootable (upgrade disk)

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have one burnt CD and one Legit CD. they both do not work. I have also copied the files from the other CD (the legit one) to my computer and tried to boot it like that and it had the same error I'm having when i try to run the CD. It loads up like it will install then it gets an error

"Network Component Upgrade
Error reading information from netmap.inf
Setup cannot continue"

but when i hit OK it goes to another error
"Windows Setup
The option to upgrade will not be available at this time
The parameter is incorrect"

then i hit OK again and it goes to new install
I can just hit OK with no key in the blanks and it goes to

"Windows Setup
Setup was unable to locate or load the international settings .INF, or the file is corrupt. Make sure the location of windows XP files is set correctly under Advanced Options
the parameter is incorrect"

then I click next next next and then it says

"Cannot complete windows xp setup wizard"

the quoted text is the popup window it shows

Edited by jnrz2, 25 October 2009 - 03:34 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If the CD is not booting up so that we can get you to recovery or repair, then putting in a new hard drive will most likely not fix the issue.

Lets clear the bios to default and get any corruption there out of the equation. Eeven though I do not beleve this is an issue, but weider things have happened.
Go into your bios and look for a way to reset the bios to default. Most likely in an advanced area. Make sure you save and exit.
Then go back in to bios and set the CD drive as the 1st boot device and save and exit.

Also take another CD that you know is bootable. I do not care which one, and see if it will boot and run.
Report what you get.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We can test this easy using Puppy Linux cd.
This will allow the system to boot outside of windows completely.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you are absolutely positive that the CD is a legit XP operating system disk, and that it is not an upgrade copy, we can completely wipe the hard drive clean.

DBAN will boot from a floppy or CD and will write 1 and 0's to the drive. It will be clean with no MBR, no OS, nothing.
That will eliminate the OS as being the issue.

You stated in previous posts that you had numerous issues right after you did a re-install.

Yes it was a clean install, it's not only an update problem its an install problem. Anything to do with windows though is a problem

. That leaves me to believe you have a problem with the CD or the CD drive. (as I stated earlier).

Have you tried a new CD drive? as I requested in an earlier post.
Is the hard drive a new drive?

I also question

I ran sfc. It ran for a couple seconds, you could tell it was running then it restarted my computer and now i get a logon.exe error

because with that many issues in windows, I have a hard time believing that there were no corrupt system files to replace.

the fact that my CD drive cannot read anything windows. DVD's fine but other than that

Is the CD dive you have a cd drive only? or is it a combo drive CD and DVD? or do you have a CD drive and a DVD drive?

You have also not been given a clean bill of health from the malware techs.

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

We can test this easy using Puppy Linux cd.
This will allow the system to boot outside of windows completely.

How would I get Puppy Linux?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get Puppy Linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd
if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get Burncdcc from my signature...it is a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all your data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...

==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...about half the width of the screen...then drag the window to the right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to
the narrowest you can..about half the width of the screen...drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmouting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..

Thanks to happyrock