Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can not install any windows updates, drivers - win xp pro

• Please log in to reply

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

If you are absolutely positive that the CD is a legit XP operating system disk, and that it is not an upgrade copy, we can completely wipe the hard drive clean.

DBAN will boot from a floppy or CD and will write 1 and 0's to the drive. It will be clean with no MBR, no OS, nothing.
That will eliminate the OS as being the issue.

You stated in previous posts that you had numerous issues right after you did a re-install.

Yes it was a clean install, it's not only an update problem its an install problem. Anything to do with windows though is a problem

. That leaves me to believe you have a problem with the CD or the CD drive. (as I stated earlier).

Well the errors happened 3-5 months after. I did some bios changes and some other stuff and used combofix which makes me think registry errors, but maybe not. Everything worked great but I think it was sort of my fault because I did not update windows

Have you tried a new CD drive? as I requested in an earlier post.
I have tried both drives. but not a new one
Is the hard drive a new drive?
its an older one but it is still good.

I also question

I ran sfc. It ran for a couple seconds, you could tell it was running then it restarted my computer and now i get a logon.exe error

because with that many issues in windows, I have a hard time believing that there were no corrupt system files to replace.

the fact that my CD drive cannot read anything windows. DVD's fine but other than that

Is the CD dive you have a cd drive only? or is it a combo drive CD and DVD? or do you have a CD drive and a DVD drive?
a CD drive and a DVD drive. It can read everything.

You have also not been given a clean bill of health from the malware techs.

I do know this, it seems nobody has checked into it

Advertisements

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Can you give me a link to download it? I have tried several on the site and none of them work for me in chrome or mozilla

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You have not answered any of the questions that I have asked in attempts to help!

Puppy Linux.
Scroll down to the 3rd one (216.1 luv)

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
123, I replied in your quotes sorry for the clutter

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Sorry I missed the response, but they were buried in the quotes.

Here is how I see what is going on.
You had a fresh install and then neglected to keep the computer updated.
You most likely have a virus infection. (I do not know if you were running virus/malware scanners and keeping them up to date).
You ran combofix without an experts advice and most likely messed up the registry.
The virus/malware most likely also messed up things.

I would suggest that you try and run Puppy Linux. It runs from the CD and in memory.
If you can successfully run Puppy, then that will give us an idea that the OS and registry are messed up and we can proceed from there.

The options, as I see it, would most likely be....
Go back to the malware forum and complete the steps with an expert.
Reformat and install the OS again. I would probably run DBAN as an extra precaution first.
Get all the updates, install virus and malware scanners.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it were me I would say format and do a fresh install.
If files are needed that are on the drive then be careful what you backup just in case there is a infection.

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
fresh install. Used the legit disc to reinstall windows.
I figured that is what it was going to take. thanks for all the help guys

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Let us know if you need assistance with install. Please let us know also how everything turns out.

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
currently installed, updated fresh and well. :) lol

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Everything updated and working correctly?

Advertisements

jnrz2

jnrz2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
yes it is.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is so great to hear. :) :) :) :)
It has been a long and sometimes frustrating issue but: Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)