Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Input Devices

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
correct....and a CD drive DOESN'T ENTER data...it transfers data....there is a difference

by your logic you should have also listed the front side bus or your PCIE slot or the IDE and SATA controllers as input devices

Advertisements

MynameisSteve

MynameisSteve

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I do not know what those are or what those do.

So, Storage Access Device anyone?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

by your logic you should have also listed the front side bus or your PCIE slot or the IDE and SATA controllers as input devices

As well as the hard drive - without the platters (the actual disks or media) within, it would just be an empty storage access device - a drive.

A disk drive is a storage device. It is NOT an input/output device. The actual CDs, DVDs, or disk platters are the "media" the drive uses. They too are not input/output devices. http://en.wikipedia....ki/Disk_storage

But, the cd-drive sends a signal to the system. Like I said... respond to what I said, about six sentences ago.

And again like we said several times now, that is incorrect. The drive does not send data, it allows the disk controller on the motherboard to retrieve the data. The data is not transmitted by the CD disk, or CD drive. The drive is a reader, the data is stored on the media; the disk. The drive, when instructed, reads the disk, the OS signals the controller to transfer the data into system RAM. No inputting. No outputting.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

And again like we said several times now, that is incorrect. The drive does not send data, it allows the disk controller on the motherboard to retrieve the data. The data is not transmitted by the CD disk, or CD drive. The drive is a reader, the data is stored on the media; the disk. The drive, when instructed, reads the disk, the OS signals the controller to transfer the data into system RAM. No inputting. No outputting.

i think that's the perfect illustration of this concept...

input is when something is ENTERED...i.e. the device that's accepting the data is transmitting/transferring the data to the system via a "push" structure where the information transfer is initiated by the device..like a keyboard....the computer doesn't make a request from the keyboard to get the information from the keyboard to the computer....the user "pushes" data to the keyboard by typing on it

where as with a CD drive or a hard drive....the drive DOES NOT initiate the transfer....the data isn't pushed...it's pulled

when you READ a CD that's in a disk drive...neither the drive nor the CD initiates the transfer...the drive controller (where the drive connects to the computer) initiates a read action that PULLS data from the device into the computer memory...the only function that the CD drive serves is as a translation device that allows the computer to be able to interpret the information on the media