Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Was wondering if taking ram from one comp to put into another would wo

• Please log in to reply

lonewolf27

lonewolf27

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello

I have 2 computers one is a Compaq Presario SR1103WM Desktop PC and my other is a Compaq Presario S6306RC Desktop PC. Last week im guessing the hard drive went on the S6306RC it wont load windows just keeps restarting. Tried everything i could find in a week of searching and nothing works i dont have discs to redo windows since it was given to me when a friend moved. So i was wondering if it was possible to take the ram from the S6306RC to put into the SR1103WM or possibly take the hard drive from the SR1103WM and place it in the S6306RC.Here are some specs i found for both of the computers ram info. Thanks.

Compaq Presario SR1103WM Desktop PC
Memory Installed 256 MB (1 x 256)
Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512 MB) requires the replacement of the installed 256MB DIMM
Speed supported PC2700 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR1-333 SDRAM
DIMM slots Two
Open DIMM slots One

Compaq Presario S6306RC Desktop PC
Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 512 MB (1 x 512)
Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512 MB)
Speed supported PC2700 MB/sec (messages at PC2100)
Type 184 pin, DDR SDRAM
DIMM slots Two

Advertisements

Witzy

Witzy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
It's both DDR ram I believe, so the RAM should work in either computer. You can usually go to a local computer store to and have them burn a copy of windows for a few bucks to reinstall the OS. The hard drives put in both machines according to specs I found are the same, except for memory storage(40GB vs. 80) and they're both ATA so just swapping them should be just fine

lonewolf27

lonewolf27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for answering. Would you switch the ram or the hard drive? lol i pretty much just use the computer for playing WoW(World Of Warcraft). If im being a pain sorry just not so sure on what would be better.

Witzy

Witzy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'd just swap the HD, takes about 2 minutes, all you got to do is reinstall WoW and you're all set. If issues persist I'd return to this thread.

lonewolf27

lonewolf27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well um i changed the hard drive and it kept rebooting like the other one did so since i was curious i put the Compaq Presario S6306RC hard drive and ram into the Compaq Presario SR1103WM and WOOT it worked somewhat anyways. It booted up fine got to windows then at the bottom by the clock it said a bunch of new hardware so i was like ok guess its normal :) . After it went thru them all it wanted to go online to search for updates for the new hardware and bam it wont connect because it cant identify the modem :) . So thats hopefully the last thing that needs to be fixed. Everything was still on the hard drive as far as World Of Warcraft and pictures i was all happy and ready to play (i need my fix havent played wow in over 2 weeks). So if anyone can help i would appreciate it alot. Thanks Witzy for all your help so far. If i had some money i think i could build a new comp its doesnt look so complicated inside that case :) . When i said modem i should of be more specific its the Internal Modem.

Edited by lonewolf27, 09 October 2009 - 03:58 AM.

Witzy

Witzy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, so everything is working now but the internet?

Sounds like your drivers for your Ethernet card need to be updated. You can try scanning the system to find the drivers locally, or buy a 10 PCI card from a computer store or wally world. Just plug it into the PCI port and they come with a CD with drivers. And remember, wally world will return about anything if it doesn't work. But try to get the drivers off your computer first.

Edited by Witzy, 09 October 2009 - 04:46 AM.

lonewolf27

lonewolf27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok well i got it to identify the modem now by uninstalling it then reinstalling it with the add new hardware thingy. Now im not getting a dial tone when it goes to connect and at the bottom by the clock when i load windows pci simple communications controller pops up to be installed but it cant find the drivers or whatever. So im thinking about looking on the web for a download to where i can burn it to a cd then load it on the other ram or do a system restore (where i get to keep my files) and hope it works. Im really getting tired of switching the ram everytime i need to use the web. Think i inhaled too much dust :) .

Witzy

Witzy

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok so everything's in order now?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You have a minor mess on your hands.
First off, for clarification, it is not recommended to just swap a hard drive from 1 computer to the next.. It generally will not work.
The mother board drivers from each computer are specific to that computer and are installed on the hard drive associated with that computer. When you put that hard drive in another computer it gets major confused (or will not work) because it now has "new" motherboard drivers to contend with, but, the other drivers are installed.

That is the reason that when you booted up "it found new drivers/ hardware".

What you need is the chipset drivers for the computer that you have somewhat working.
I believe that to be the Compaq Presario SR1103WM.

Another FYI is

except for memory storage(40GB vs. 80)

. Memory storage is not the same as hard drive storage. Memory usually refers to ram.

Go to start....run....and type in devmgmt.msc and hit ok. Look for any yellow ? or red ! Let us know what they are.

Your drivers.