Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

will not start windows

• Please log in to reply

jr chambers

jr chambers

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
OK, this dell desktop will not load to the windows home screen-you know, when the windows logo is up and the progress bar is running across the bottom- so it gets to this screen and the restarts (crap), downloaded the samsung hdd ultility and the drive passed, removed the memory (2 1 gig sticks) one at a time and this made no difference, tried running the windows recovery and still no luck, then i replaced the motherboard, still does the same thing. info= dell insprion 530, foxconn m/b samsung 320 gig hdd, windows xp,sp2,usb keyboard and mouse.please be kind and steer me in the correct direction. :)
joel

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It may be power supply failing.

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
thank you for your input. it doesn't make the sound like you cut it off, it just restarts,no fans cutting off then back on, just gets to the start screen then goes right back like you have pressed the button to start it. how can i test that?
joel

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
jr chambers,

Are you able to access Windows XP in safe mode? Tap F8 constantly a little bit after the BIOS screen appears to get into the advanced menu and choose "Safe Mode". If you can access the OS in safemode, run command prompt (start>run>cmd) and type "chkdsk /f /r" without the double quotations to attempt a filesystem and sector repair and recovery. After the chkdsk finishes it will boot normally and if successful you will be out of your restart loop.

If you cannot access safemode, you can try booting to the original Windows XP disk and choose "Recovery COnsole" by pressing R at the appropriate menu. Once inside recovery console you will be asked to select the drive and also enter the administrator password. You will see a screen that looks similar to the command prompt, at this point I would enter "chkdsk /r" (recovery console will not recognize the /f switch, and it is already implied in /r) and let checkdisk run its course. Once finished, reboot and see if you can get back into the OS.

Please let me know the result or if I can be of any further assistance.

Kevin

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
thank you for your time Kevin, I'm not able to run in safe mode-come up with caption[windows xp setup cannot run under safe mode setup will restart], i cannot use the recovery console because of the admin password request-don't have the password. so where to from here?
Joel

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
jr chambers,

Unfortunately I cannot aid you in recovering your password or provide you with any information as to how to recovery a lost password due to to rules of this forum.

You will either have to obtain the password by memory or if it is not your system and you are working on it for a friend, obtain it from the proper source.

Your last resort option is to backup any data using a bootable disk and a storage media, and then reformat the system accordingly using the Windows XP disk that you have.

If you need assistance with this, please post back here and I will see where i can help. Thanks

Regards,
Kevin

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
gonna reformat :)

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
wow! i still can get this thing to boot up, it goes to the installing windows screen, gets to installing devices (35 mins left to install) and then the blue screen of death(stops). i get this code=0x0000000a,0x00000010,0x00000002,0x00000000,0x8051aa58, i've tried oem xp home and oem professional. what's next. what broni said- the power supply?
joel

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Setup stops responding with 34 minutes remaining: http://support.micro...kb/828267/en-us

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
thanks broni, but i can't get that to happen(the f10 then read the log), don't know what i'm doing right/wrong, but i can't completed the function stated in that link, i think the problem is from the sata drive set-up which i'm not able to make heads or tails from the foxconn motherboard forum. i'm not able to complete the set-up for the raid in the bios either.stated to make a floppy for applying at the right time when installing windows, states to set sata config in bios to raid ,f4 to save, then when it reboots it'll prompt for you to press ctrl-i (or l or 1 , i can tell for sure becuase it looks like a straight line and not any keyboard symbol). well i can get to that screen which is the intel matrix storage manager. what you guys think ?
jeol

Advertisements

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
i also tried installing another hdd that has XP installed and working on another sata drive board and it would not boot up at all (to windows). so i thinks it's the sata drivers unless your first post is right about the power supply-which i can get one tomorrow.
joel

Edited by jr chambers, 09 October 2009 - 07:52 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Keep us posted :)

Doc1

Doc1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This could be a lot of things. As mentioned by others, power supply is a likely culprit. Also check your memory cards. If you have a bad memory card it can cause a continual reboot. You can do this by uninstalling one or more cards at a time and then switching cards.
Not sure about Dell, but it is probably the same as HP. HP has a condition like this that is caused by a missing or changed registry.
There is also a virus that causes a continual reboot, can't remember the name. However, if you get to the windows sreen before it starts into a reboot its not this virus. If it goes into reboot before you get to the windows screen, it could be this virus.

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
OK, tried a new 300 watt power supply and no dice. :) , now what? i disconnected the dvd rw drive and left only the hdd and the monitor, key board, mouse, memory (and have use the memetest on both sticks-OK) installed. comes up with stop error message =0x0000007b(0xf789e63c,0xc0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000), please help me before i trow it out the window :)
Joel

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
i have looked up the error code and found that is most likely is from the raid set-up, the procedure-listed in one of my previous posts listed an operation that i can't get to, anyone-anyone at all familiar with the foxconn q45m series motherboard please send me an email() or pm me if the info is proprietary, or just let me know how to get into the intel matrix storage manager-because on reboot i'm not able to hit <crlt>+<1> or whatever that symbol is to access the utility. $%&^*forsaken aggravating process for setting up a sata hdd is just as easy as flying over the white house in a russian :) fighter jet...
Joel