Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

loud annoying buzzing noise from computer

• Please log in to reply

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
I just bought a brand new Dell desktop computer
ever few minutes a very annoying buzzing noise comes from the computer
if i bang the side of the computer, it stops... but only momentarily
the buzzing noise comes and goes every so often, but it very annoying
i dont think it is the fan, because the fan has a noise of its own, but this is a separate annoying buzzing/hissing noise
theres about 5 minutes of no noise, then 5 minutes of buzzing, and its a cycle that repeats
what should i do?
thanks a lot

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I just bought a brand new Dell desktop computer
ever few minutes a very annoying buzzing noise comes from the computer
what should i do?

You have 1 option - take it back.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I agree with my fellow staff member. If you just bought it then use your warranty and have them fix it or replace the system completely.
You are paying for the warranty why not utilize it before it gets worse?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

utilize it before it gets worse

Utilize it before you get stuck with broken PC. If this is some device in the PSU that is buzzing, or a high current device on the motherboard, and it fails the rest of the way, it could do more damage.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
the thing is this is the THIRD computer they've sent me
the other two had problems of their own
it is SUCH a hassle
i dont have time to continue talking to technical support and getting new computers
wow
so what could be the problem?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Don't know. Depends on exactly where the noise is coming from.

Either way, you should still deal with Dell on this. Even if it means you get your money back and go buy an HP.

You might want to get your house wiring checked in case that is bad and destroying these computers. And get an UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation) to keep power anomalies from destroying your computer.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
this is the first computer they sent me that is giving me this problem
the other ones had different problems
HP is better??

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

HP is better??

No. I am not saying that. Remember, whether Dell, HP, Gateway, Acer, or what ever, they still use Intel or AMD CPUs, AMD/ATI or nVidia graphics, WD or Maxtor drives, etc. Primarily, all Dell, HP, and the other's do is assemble off-the-shelf components.

I suggested another brand because you indicated this is the 3rd Dell you have had problems with (even if different problems). Are they all the same model?

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
yes its the same model
the technician updated my Bios and said it should help
will this really help? or do i need a new one?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

will this really help?

Doc, you're the one there, did it help? I personally don't see how, but then I don't know where the buzz came from in the first place.

yes its the same model

Even with the understanding it was a different problem each time, if I had 3 samples in a row that were bad, I would at least change models, if not brands.

I would say if the buzz is gone, fine. But if still there, send it back.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
It could be something lose in the case or elsewhere. There are things you can do to track it down, like a stethoscope with a tube rather than the usual piece (auto parts places often sell them).

But as others have said, it is best to return it. Since you have had two other problems and this makes three, I would say that three strikes and you are out. Find another computer or another company. If you are having this many problems out of the box, the future does not look good for that computer.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
What should i get instead? it is a Dell Studio

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Ooh, I don't get into those type specific discussions. I don't have a clue what is best for you. Or how much you are willing to spend. But I can offer this; determine your primary needs for this computer and what you need it to do, set a budget, then find the computer that fits your needs and budget. You already have a base line to start from with this Dell. Setting aside the obvious faults, what did you like about it? What didn't you like? Did it meet your needs? What would change if you could?

it is a Dell Studio

Dell has an entire line of PCs, notebooks, and accessories under the Dell Studio moniker. What is the exact model number?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Power supplies have components in them that will buzz. This is an 1 of the indicators that there is a problem. If the PSU is the buzzing (and we do not know that for sure), it will fail and could very well destroy anything it is powering (such as the main board and drives).

I will also suggest to get the unit replaced. Try another brand/model.

hospitaldoctor

hospitaldoctor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts
what if the harddrive is the one making the noise?