Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with PSU and GFX..

• Please log in to reply

domingos

domingos

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Im new to all of this and was wondering if you would be able to help with a few query's. Ive just started to get into gaming. I live in australia and am getting sick of not being able to play games using integrated graphics. I have a Compaq Presario SR5620AN that has never been upgraded. I am wanting to upgrade my graphics card but the problem lies that i only have a 300W power supply. As such i have done some searching around to no avail and only getting myself more and more confused. I cant seem to find anything that will work for a 300W power supply but i would much rather not upgrade the PSU if i dont have to. Then again if i do need to upgrade, i cant find any information about my PSU other then it is 300W. Event HP customer support couldnt / wouldnt tell me what voltage the PSU runs at. Can you please help i know im kinda noob but im just winding myself up to be more and more stressed out about this. on top of that i dont even know if a new PSU will fit into my tower >< please help

Thanks

EDIT: if this helps here is a link to my pc spec's. http://h10025.www1.h...product=3815986

Edited by domingos, 09 October 2009 - 05:05 AM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

HP/Compaq aren't very forthcoming on the details of this PSU are they? In fact, I can find no information on it whatsoever. However, from looking at the service manual, it seems that this system uses a standard size PSU (i.e what's known as an ATX form factor PSU).
The best way to check however is to measure it.

It should measure:
15cm x 14cm x 8.5cm

Once you've established that, just check the power connectors to the motherboard. The main one will be either a 20 pin or a 24pin connector (2 rows of 10 or 12).
There will probably be a 4 pin square connector that plugs in near to the CPU.
If there are any other power connector going to the motherboard itself, then let me know. I'm fairly confident there won't be but you can never be absolutely sure with proprietary systems such as this.

Assuming that's all OK, then you should be able to replace the PSU with a standard ATX power supply. Don't be tempted to buy a really cheap one though. I would recommend a brand such as Antec, Cooler Master, Enermax, Thermaltake, Tagan, Hyper etc.
Here is an example of such a PSU:
PSU

If your not sure whether you have a 20 pin or a 24 pin connector on your original PSU, then make sure you buy a 24 pin PSU as they will be backwardly compatible

Please note - i cannot guarantee that a standard PSU will work with your system as I can't find any detailed info on either your current power supply or the motherboard, but it should do.

domingos

domingos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
heya,

thanks for the reply. It just brings out one more question before i go ahead and start opening the thing up. Is there any dangers if (as i dont know what it is), if lets say for example my PSU is idk 3.3 voltage and i replace it with a 12v watever? Would it cause harm / damage to the computer in anyway to basically up the amp? I know it doesnt matter swapping the wattage, but not sure about the voltage? like would i need to find my voltage and buy another psu containing the same voltage level? Hope i am making sense atm sorry i just woke up

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Not sure what you mean exactly.
All computer PSUs will use an input voltage of either 110V (for example in America) or 230V (in the UK). So if you live in the States & buy the PSU in the States then will be the correct voltage.

As for output voltages, standard ATX power supplies (for example) all provide the same output voltages e.g 3.3V, 12V, 5V etc so there's nothing you need to check on this front