Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Enable Administrators Group From Command Prompt

• Please log in to reply

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi All

I have a friend who boots into Vista and gets a black screen with white mouse pointer - nothing else.

Tried all the usual options of Last Known Good, System Restore etc - still nothing.

Had a look at some MS articles and Google and seen that people recommend booting into either Safe Mode with Command Prompt or booting from the Vista DVD, choosing Repair My Computer then Command Prompt.

They then suggest typing / running msconfig and selecting Diagnostic Startup.

The thing is that this requires the Super Admin account.

So can this be enabled via the command prompt?

Regards

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
When you boot into "Repair My Computer", you get an option to log in as somebody. If you don't log in to an Administrator account (note: the account of the same name is typically disabled by default) you won't do very much.

If truth be told I don't see how MSCONFIG is going to help you in that environment on the basis it's designed to be run from Windows Vista itself, not a DOS prompt or the repair options.

Have you done Startup Repair?

datarunner

datarunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

When you boot into "Repair My Computer", you get an option to log in as somebody. If you don't log in to an Administrator account (note: the account of the same name is typically disabled by default) you won't do very much.

If truth be told I don't see how MSCONFIG is going to help you in that environment on the basis it's designed to be run from Windows Vista itself, not a DOS prompt or the repair options.

Have you done Startup Repair?

Hi There

Where is the option to "log in as somebody" in the Repair My Computer as I have never seen this?

As for the MSCONFIG I was refering to Safe Mode with command prompt then typing msconfig, but obviously if the admin account is disabled then you get the error message.

Regards

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Where is the option to "log in as somebody" in the Repair My Computer as I have never seen this?

As for the MSCONFIG I was refering to Safe Mode with command prompt then typing msconfig, but obviously if the admin account is disabled then you get the error message.

Regards

Far as I'm aware you can't use "Repair Your Computer" without having to log into an existing account. So you have to have logged in at some point unless it's an empty hard drive.

datarunner

datarunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
"When you boot into "Repair My Computer", you get an option to log in as somebody. If you don't log in to an Administrator account (note: the account of the same name is typically disabled by default) you won't do very much."

M8 you DON'T have to login as anybody in Vista RE

It allows for startup repair, system restore, CMD prompt, memory testing etc etc

No login is required

Regards