Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD-ROM and CD-RW Problems...

• Please log in to reply

punkyboi

punkyboi

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My DVD-ROM drive and CD-R drive have both stop reading discs ... and I'm at a loss as to why that is.

About two weeks ago I re-installed a game and played it using the game disc.

A few days later when I went to play a different game, it started up and then a message flashed saying: "Please Insert Game Disc" ... It was in the drive, but in My Computer it did not show up. I tried the other cd drive... nothing changed.

I later tried played two different DVDs, three audio CDs and even a data disc with recorded movie clips. None of them would play in either drive. Windows Media Player and My Computer did not recognize the dics at all. They would not auto-play either ...

The only odd thing is that when I put a disc in the drive, the icon changes and shows a gold disc icon. It only changees for a few seconds and then it returns to normal and the disc stops spinning.

I also burnt two CDs yesterday using my CD-RW drive, and both of them play perfectly in my CD boombox. So I don't think that it's a wire problem or anything.

Can anyone please give me some advice about what this may be? I am so at a loss for what may be causing this and it's really frusterating. :tazz:

Advertisements

cybermaniac99

cybermaniac99

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
have u installed any software that creates virtual drives??

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
You might try isolating the burner on the IDE cable. Put the DVD Rom on the same IDE as your HD. Let the burner have it's own cable. I've seen many many times where Burners don't play nice with other drives on the same IDE cable. However, if your system isn't new and the drives have been working properly for some time, I would not assume this is the correct fix to your problem. If this is a relatively new PC though, I would definatly try isolating that Burner.

Hope this helps. :tazz:

punkyboi

punkyboi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
in response to cybermaniac: no, I haven't installed any virtual drives.

in respone to magusbuckley: I'm not sure how to isolate the drives ... but my computer is not new. It's actually almost 4 years old and this is the first real problem I have had with it.

be trying a few other discs, and a tweak with the autoplay that I found on another site ... still no change. what the heck is going on with this dang thing :tazz: