Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Microsoft Office 2007 Went Missing after System Restore

• Please log in to reply

Kennethac

Kennethac

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My company had a power outage and after the power outage all of my files were gone. It seemed as though the computer had restored itself to default. I had no pictures, no files or folders that I created it was like a brand new computer. So I restarted the computer, and when the screen flashed "press F1 for help or F10 for System Restore", I pressed F10. After the System Restore everything was back up and working and looked good as new.
However I went to My Documents and noticed that all Microsoft Office files had the icon with the white paper with the window box inside of it and one pink, blue, and green dots in the window. Any file that I clicked on brought up the "Open With" screen and since no MS Office programs were there I used "Used the Internet to find the best program". Which prompted me to download and re-buy that MS program.
I have the MS Office programs on my startup menu and desktop, but when I click on those it says "This works only for currently installed programs." Now I was on the phone with the IT dept and we did another system restore but I only had one date option which was the date and time after the first system restore. So now my questions are is I will obviously have to re-install MS Office 2007 but if I do then will I be able to open all files that are already on my comp as though nothing happened?? Does it matter that each report was created in 2003?? Better yet is there anyway to install or get MS Office without the company shelling out hundreds? Thanks.

Edited by sari, 09 October 2009 - 07:09 AM.
Removed email address

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,955 posts
  • MVP
Since you had a legal copy of Office to begin with, you should be able to reinstall it without paying for it again. It will probably involve a call to Microsoft, but assuming you have the original key for the program, they would be able to validate it again. Your IT department should have the ability to reinstall this. Are you positive the program is gone? It's possible that the shortcuts themselves no longer work but the program is still installed. Check in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12, or perform a search for Word.exe or Excel.exe to see if the files still exist on the computer. It seems unlikely that a power failure would actually remove a program from the computer.

Assuming the original files are not corrupt in any way, then you should be able to open them The fact that they were created in 2003 will make no difference; Office is backwards-compatible, so it can open files created in an older version.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You can try using the OpenOffice Suite first which is free just to see if you can open/read the files.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

F10 for System Restore",

that's a destructive restore...which restores the computer to factory settings....which uninstalled your office suite...and probably any other programs that were installed after the machine was bought... once office is reinstalled the documents will open fine