Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

setting up XP administrative account

• Please log in to reply

kelkay

kelkay

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I remember reading it is not good to use only your administrative account when surfing the internet. Some things could be automatically installed like some type of malware. Well I decided since I just changed out the hard drive, that I would set this up from the beginning with a account for me, and use it instead of the administrative account...except when I have to be in that mode for administrative purposes. Now I am finding this to be a pain in the rear. I set up the account with a personal name on it. I added Firefox to it. Then I added Netcraft Toolbar which I really like. I decided to go ahead and use the Netcraft Toolbar for IE too, so I downloaded it for that browser too. When I tried to install it...it said I had to have administrative priviledges to install it. (but it didn't on Firefox...strange) So I go into the administrative account, and call up IE, and add the toolbar to it. Then I noticed Firefox is not on my administrative account. Now I go back to the regular account, and dang...it still won't let me install the Netcraft Toolbar...even though I authorized it in the administrative account. Before I go any further in this, what are your ideas about whether to have two accounts or not? Is it worth it? I don't want to be constantly going back and forth with this. Thoughts? :)

Advertisements

kfawcett

kfawcett

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Theoretically, it would be better to run as a non-administrator for day to day operations. This is unfortunately a very frustrating process. This article explains it very well: http://www.windowsne...n-Accounts.html

As for FF not showing up in the Admin account even though you set it up in another account. Each account has it's own profile settings, so each will have different shortcuts, wallpapers, documents, et cetera.

kelkay

kelkay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
I appreciate that link, and I will read it. So I will have to download all programs twice it seems. If it could just let you add the password from the administrative account, that wouldn't be too bad. Well, I will read the article you provided. It may not be worth it for me to do this. Thanks for your input!