Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP blinking cursor after windows update

• Please log in to reply

razorgjs

razorgjs

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Dell Dimension 8250 running windows XP Pro. Last night I was on line and noticed the window update shield in the tray and it indicated 3%. I left the computer on all night. This morning the computer was on and the shield was gone. I checked the weather and stuff and shut it off. Upon starting the computer this afternoon, the DELL window came up and then switched to the black screen with the blinking cursor. I did the F2 & F12 stuff and checked the hard drive and it says it is ok. I think it may be the Windows OS. How can I get this back to pre-update status, in case that is really what caused this? I have the XP install disk and can get into the Recovery panel but don't know what prompts to enter from there. I have been reading numerous posts on this issue and none seem to be exactly like mine and I don't want to screw something up worse, and my eyes are sore from reading all the posts! Please help if you can. Thank you!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you start the system in safe mode?
While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system splash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the cursors/arrow keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

Does the problem recur in safe mode?.

razorgjs

razorgjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I can not get the F8 key to work. If I keep tapping it during the slash screen, I get a Keyboard Failure message and it tells me to strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run the system utility.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
might be tapping it too fast....slow down the tappity taps and wait till you see the dell screen to start the tapping

razorgjs

razorgjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No luck. Only F2 or F12 work.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what happens if you press f1?

razorgjs

razorgjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
How do I see your replys on the screen without having to click the link on the email notification every time?

razorgjs

razorgjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
F1 does not do anything either.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in your user control panel...if you go to the email settings you can have the forum include the text of the reply with the email...then you can read the responses in your email

does your keyboard have an F-lock button?

razorgjs

razorgjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
No F key lock that I can see.

Advertisements

razorgjs

razorgjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I have to run out for a bit. If you could suggest some things for me to try later I would appreciate it. I have tried the Repair option twice with the Windows XP disk and it goes throught the whole sequence normal but when it restarts the computer, it comes back to the black screen with blinking cursor. Thanks.

razorgjs

razorgjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Any other suggestions? I would appreciate it. I'm wondering if my hard drive is trash even though it recognizes it and that one installation of windows is on it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it is possible that your hard drive is failing which would be a reason why it would stop detecting on a reboot

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

razorgjs

razorgjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It says it found and fixed one or more errors on the volume. It also includes a bunch of info about disk space.

razorgjs

razorgjs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I plugged the hard drive into my work laptop via a USB to IDE cable and I can read everything on the hard drive. Therefore, the hard drive, I assume is still fine and my issue must be with Windows. Do you have any more suggestions to fix this without wiping out the hard drive with a re-installation of windows? I have my files backed up, but really don't want to go through the labor of reloading all of the software and programs, driver updates, etc. that is necessary after the Windows re-load. Thanks!