Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant get Firefox browser!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

shroomlady

shroomlady

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
:) I tried 3 times last night to get this browser...It took over 2hrs to download then when I tried to open it it said..Extraction Failed!! File Corrupt...So I tried again today after turning off Avast well its called pause, and I turned off my accelator and I even turned off my Windows automatic update then after an hour I got booted...Scream I am on Old timey Dialup!!and my puter is 5 yrs old...I have IE8 but Ive heard Firefox is better so Im really trying...Can you tell what I need to do havent tried again since I got booted off! I took it as a sign to get help first.....Thank U ...bout ready to pull all this puters hair out!! if only it had some...Hammer wont do..LOL..

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello shroomlady.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

First of all where are you trying to download it from?
Second try Mozilla Official Site

shroomlady

shroomlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ive been going straight to the official site..Thank you Ill be waiting for your reply....shroomlady :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I apologize for your problems and maybe I can help you.
I downloaded the file myself direct from Mozilla version 3.5.3 which is the newest one.
Go to MediaFire and download the following file.
Firefox Setup 3.5.3.zip
You will have to unzip the attached file and the setup file will be inside. Everything should work from there. Please let me know.

shroomlady

shroomlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I really thank you but the problem is that I can download it but I cant open it to get to the setup!!!! Thank you for being so fast in getting back to me so fast!! I have dialup so its all really slow..but I guess the problem is in my computer....

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It sounds like your dialup is hicupping when downloading.
Can you download anything else without a problem?
Can you give me some information on your system like the amount of memory you have
hard drive total and free space?
cpu?

If not you can do the following and it should be able to get the information

Lets take a look at the hard drive and see what you have.

Go to
1: Start
2: My Computer
3: Right Click on "C" drive
4: Click on Properties
5: In this field it will tell you total drive space and also free space

Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show
System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

shroomlady

shroomlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Im sorry it took me so long to get back to ya...but having a hard time with this dial..they have to come out next week and check my phone lines it now keeps steady booting me off line...now back to the other problem..I can download other stuff..I just reinstalled my flash player last night..ok heres the info U asked for..
Dell Dimenson
Pentium® 4CPU 2.40GHz
2.39 GHz
WindowsXP
Home Edition
Service Pack 3
Used space 9.53 GB
Free space 64.9 GB
Capacity 74.4 GB
128MB of RAM
Avaliable Physical Memory 20.46 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.92 GB

I hope I got everything U needed I did a systems check not to long ago for other problems this Dell is old but smart like that! It was made before they went for quality not quanity..Thanks again!!! Vic...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for the info.
It does shed light on one issue I see right away.
The amount of Ram Memory you have is really low. This is barely enough to run XP without anything else.
If I can suggest you may want to think about increasing that if you can to 1 gig of memory.
Just to see you can Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system. You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Are you using a 56k modem for your dialup service?
As a suggestion you may ask them about a newer modem as with the age of the system the modem may be having issues also. :) :)

shroomlady

shroomlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I want to thank so very much for all your time and patience..I am going to purchase some more memory as soon as I can..In the mean time this ole puter popped a window and said that it wss increasing the paging files for virtual memory and its running a bit better, but Im gonna wait to do any downloading til I can purchase the memory.Let me say again how helpful you were and Thank You sooo much for the help..Have A Great Day...
Vic... :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome and it's because of Thank You's genuinely given from people like yourself that we all do this for.
We all enjoy doing this and a simple thank you is all we ask for in return.
So to follow that I want to thank you for allowing me to assist you and for being so patient as we ran down the problem.
Please let us know when you are ready to resume by posting back here and we will continue.
This topic will be monitored for you.
THANK YOU again. :) :) :)

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Just for information for you....

In the mean time this ole puter popped a window and said that it wss increasing the paging files for virtual memory and its running a bit better

means that you do not have enough memory (ram) to run the programs you want so it is "swapping" to the hard drive.
This is a bad way to do this. What you need as rscaffer61 recommended is more memory. That memory will help alot.

Again, we will monitor and be here to furthur assist you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hey Very helpful friend...I doubt U remember me but Im the one with the old Dell Deminsion that couldnt download firefox. Well I did the memory upgrade I put in 1GB and this old 2400 was Smokin for about a month now its sluggish again and wont defrag all the way goes to about 18% and quits..Do you supppose I did something wrong when I upgraded? Ive checked no Viruses no Spyware it just started not wanting to load pages and such about 2 days ago..I have uninstalled firfox and reinstalled tried doing the profile thing just..Help we were going good and playing on facebook in style now were a snail again...Thanks Shroomlady

Van you do the following and let's see what we can find. Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

shroomlady

shroomlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I hope I did this right..i cant tell if it made the trip or not. Please let me know and Ill try again..Thanks Vic..

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this,

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:
It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged

shroomlady

shroomlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ive downloaded the TFC by Oldtimer but your signature wasnt at the bottom with a link for Auslogics Defrag..and can you tell what you think is wrong? Im running WindowsXP..Thanks Vic..