Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cant get Firefox browser!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

shroomlady

shroomlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Its a PCI V.92 internal modem its a 56k I had to replace it about 4 yrs ago. Its made by Accent Communications.. Its has OD-IM-100 what ever that is on the CD.My cousin bought a external dell modem on e-bay but now CD and cant figure out the drivers to download for it so I havent used it..

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you get me the model of the external modem?
I will try to locate the drivers for you.
Can I ask you if you can get DSL where you are?
It is much faster and honestly not that much more then a dialup service now.

shroomlady

shroomlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I was just checking on Peoples the other day and I can get DSL thru them but this local dialup and phone Im using is trying to get DSL and the wireles so I was kinda waiting on him before I commit to a yr membership. He already had the internet service and Im the reason he got it unlimited..So Im trying to hang in there til he can start all the other services...OK all I see is a number on the back and Dell on the front..The number is Conexant RD02 - D400 REVA03 NW147 its a 56k I think its a V.92 I left the box in Louisiana and so all I have is the UL tag that is on it...If I could plug it up and find the driver that way but this is the only puter I got...I looked but I was afraid Id get the wrong one and really crash this thing...Thanks Vic...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Peoples... is that the name of the ISP you use there?
The reason I'm asking is because the need for the modem will not be there if you go to DSL.
You can still talk on the phone while on the internet also.
I myself am not a fan of wireless internet because of the problem with a outside source being able to hack your signal.

shroomlady

shroomlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
No my ISP is a local man and his wife has a business it started out with a home phone and I think they have a cell phone service not sure I have the old Cingular go phone for 12 yrs well AT & T now...Its called MadDialup Im not sure what ISP he uses...Peoples is one I have checked into for DSL and they sound like the most reasonable and only a 1year committment.. I have a question do you think that a lot of my problem is the dialup? Yeah you right about the modem if I go DSL thy will send me a modem...Ive been wondering if all this problem is the dialup especially when I keep getting (The connection to the server was reset whle the page was loading) and server cant be found...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
type in DSL + 92054...putting in your zip code instead of 92054 into googles search engine...you will have a list of anyone supplying DSL service in your area...check the prices at all of them

shroomlady

shroomlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you Happy...Ill have to do that living in a one horse town it hard to find the horse!! Ha Ha Merry Christmas...

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Thank you Happy...Ill have to do that living in a one horse town it hard to find the horse!! Ha Ha Merry Christmas...

doesn't matter how many horses your town has...
you have telephone lines and that's where you can get DSL from

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only limitation on DSL that I know of is the distance from a hub on the circuit. Here DSL lite has a limitation of 20 thousand feet. Thats a couple of miles to say the least so a one horse town is usually only a mile across at best. :)
I was born in a town like that. If you sneezed you not only passed the one stop light but probably got a ticket for it also. :) :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
they even have DSL for RJ11 (standard phone lines)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah it took At%T 2 weeks to determine i was 9000 feet to far for any DSL service. They are still trying to charge me for it even though I never had their service.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Yeah it took At%T 2 weeks to determine i was 9000 feet to far for any DSL service. They are still trying to charge me for it even though I never had their service.

normally when you check online to see if they can supply you DSL service...you put in your address and they tell you right then if they can supply it or not...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah I did that and for 2 weeks they kept saying there was no reason we could not get it. 6 technicians later they finally figured out we were 9000 feet to far. But get this, i have 2 neighbors right across the street who are getting the same exact DSL we tried to get.

shroomlady

shroomlady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

doesn't matter how many horses your town has...
you have telephone lines and that's where you can get DSL from

U would be really surprised with this town they think the telephone poles are for
tying the horse to and they forgot to tie the rope and thats why he cant be found..I had typed my address and phone # in and found a few and checked them out and Peoples PC sounded best..Cause Im starting to believe that the dialup is why Im having the biggest part of my loading pages and games and such..Thank U for your help... :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With the graphic intensive websites now the dialup user is going to be left behind. There are just to many larger pics and games that require a broadband connection to work correctly now.
I honestly have been hoping the government will force ISP's to drop dialup and give high speed to those users for the same price.