Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restore to Factory Settings

• Please log in to reply

archerfromgo

archerfromgo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a Gateway Windows Vista model MT6711. i have the cd. Whenever i try to boot up the computer i get past the prompt screen, an error pops up saying "Windows Error Recovery" Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. etc.. Launch Startup Repair (recommended) Start Windows Normally.
Launch startup Repair only flickers then brings me back to that screen. Start windows normally brings me through some loading. and i see a blue screen for a split second then shuts off.
I put the CD in and the thing comes up saying "Press any key to boot from the cd" i press a key, then it goes to a screen to load, and then it goes back to the Error Recovery page. I've tried F8 F12 F10 to try to reboot it but that doesn't work.
Please help I need the Computer fixed by Friday!!
THanks in advance to any help too =)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try pressing F11 at Gateway screen to access recovery partition.

archerfromgo

archerfromgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I just tried a repeatedly pressed, i held it, and it went passed prompt made loud beep noise and then went to the windows error recovery screen.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

archerfromgo

archerfromgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
is there a way to do without paying? I don't want to pay for something that might not work, since im bringing to get it fixed on monday and hope to fix it so that i won't have to pay.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Paying for what?

archerfromgo

archerfromgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
nvm that last post... the only way you can get those disks to work, is by putting the files on the desktop, which i can't get to, the hard drive is Western Digital Scorpio BLue WD1600BEVS btw if that makes it easier..

Edited by archerfromgo, 11 October 2009 - 01:09 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What are you talking about?
At my link, did you click on Download DLG Diagnostic under Data Lifeguard Diagnostic v5.04c for DOS (CD) (June 2004) section?
If so, it takes you to this page: http://support.wdc.c...oad.asp?lang=en
You have to select type of hard drive, you have.

archerfromgo

archerfromgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yea i was at that exact part when i read further into it and it said to pt disk in and open it from the desktop...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I don't understand, what you're saying.
What is your HD model and what exactly did you download?
Where is "paying for something" part?

Advertisements

archerfromgo

archerfromgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
ok i have the disk in the drive but it goes to a black screen and i have to type the command in...it won't just boot from the cd :) I don't know what to type please help fast!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
One more time:

What is your HD model and what exactly did you download?

Is it .iso file?

archerfromgo

archerfromgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

nvm that last post... the only way you can get those disks to work, is by putting the files on the desktop, which i can't get to, the hard drive is Western Digital Scorpio BLue WD1600BEVS btw if that makes it easier..

it was the iso and i put it on a disk with that other website you had linked i put it in and something similar to a command prompt came up..
Diag504fCD.iso iso 2.10 MB Data Lifegaurd Diagnostic for DOS (CD)

Edited by archerfromgo, 11 October 2009 - 05:04 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you burn .iso file with ImgBurn?
If so, you should put CD in and restart computer.
At some point, you should see:
Press any key to boot from CD
If you don't see any message like that, then, you have to check boot order in BIOS.

archerfromgo

archerfromgo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
that is the order of boot cd is first, but then no option to boot from cd it just goes to black screen with hte prompts tellling some stuff about the cd...