Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Hard Drive near full - but cannot find files

• Please log in to reply

aan111

aan111

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi friends,

I am a new member and don't understand computer tech. Just use it for office, and net surfing. In my new job was handed a system that had only about 10% free memory. Wanted your inputs to fasten my comp speed

Once you go through the info given below, my requests are as follows:
(1) C drive does not show files of 25.6GB(difference between 44.2-18.6), but shows the space is utilised, and the disk keeper asks me to defrag & improve my systems daily.PICTURE ATTACHED
(2) There are backups (Thinkadvantage bluebutton design) of the files of last owner of this laptop, I want to delete those backups but do not know how to get in the smaller partition and do it.

To know folder capacities I had also installed a "foldersize.msi" file, and I have also made all folders and files visible - but that also does not tell me where the 25.6 GB space is being utilised, .
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPECS:
Lenovo R 60 laptop
HDD:
  • C drive - capacity 51.4 GB (Shows free space 7.2 GB, BUT when i click on properties it shows only 18.6 GB worth of files) File System - NTFS, Status - Healthy System, Fault Tolerance - No, Overhead - 0%. PICTURE ATTACHED.
  • Service Partition V001 - capacity 4.45 GB (Shows free space 589 MB) File System - FAT32, Status - Healthy(EISA Configuration) , Fault Tolerance - No, Overhead - 0%
    This does not appear in the folder "My Computer". I had to search for it in "Microsoft Management Console Version 3.0"
  • RAM is 512 MB

The System Information is also attached as below
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer LENOVO
System Model 9457A78
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 14 Stepping 8 GenuineIntel ~1663 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 7CETC1WW (2.11 ), 09/01/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name SRIPARNA-CBD\Administrator
Time Zone India Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 63.96 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.20 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks in advance

aan

Attached Thumbnails

• properties.JPG

Attached Images

• comparison.JPG

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Look at the left panel of the left image. Note it says at top, Documents and Settings. That is not the entire C drive, but it appears to be a folder in the Documents and Settings folder on C drive. There's still a discrepancy because on the left the D&S folder shows ~18Gb while the right image shows ~10Gb.

I recommend you click that button that says Disk Cleanup and let Windows clear out all the clutter. Make sure you know the credentials (username and password) of any sites you visit as those cookies will be deleted, and you will have to enter those credentials manually the first time you visit them again. Make sure Compress old files is NOT checked, then click on More Options. Under that System Restore section, click on Clean up.... to purge all but the most recent Restore Point, then OK. When that has completed the purging, click OK again to complete the cleaning process.

Then from the Tools tab you see in the left image, Click the "Check Now..." button in the Error-checking section, check both options, then start. Because the system knows Windows has many files open making them unmovable, you will be prompted to run chkdsk at next boot. You need to do that so follow the prompts to allow that to happen. Note the chkdsk process can take many hours, and appear at times to be stuck - just walk away and let it finish.

Once the disk checking is complete, and the system reboots, you can run defrag, but I recommend doing that from Safe Mode.

aan111

aan111

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Dear Bill,

A great thanks for this. Will try and report how it progresses.

I was also reading through the site and was trying to enter the RR (rescue and recovery mode) in the lenovo laptop to delete the files that clog it. This will be hopefully possible through the safe mode and then if I remove hat, more space will be created.

Aan