Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Newly built computer wont recognize CD-ROM and HD at the same time

• Please log in to reply

stacld

stacld

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I have slowly gotten back into computers, I have a foxconn mobo and I have slowly gotten the parts i need to finish my build (its taken about 5 months). Now I have it in the case and took the DVD-ROM from my compaq and put it in and I have a HD in there as well. However it only recognizes one, I've tried switching the ide cables to different connectors and everything. But for some reason it either recognizes the hard drive or it will recognize the cd-rom. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

Grongle

Grongle

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Stacid, a lot of folks would advise you to use the old way of connecting these drives as Master and Slave. They are IDE (PATA) drives, right?

Don't use Cable Select. Not for now, anyway.

Set the extremely tiny jumpers on both the DVD and the Hard Drive according to small diagrams that will be on each drive. Look carefully to find the diagrams.

Remember that Master is connected at the FAR END of the IDE cable, and SLAVE is the connection in the middle.

If you still get no joy, consider the possibility your cable is connected the wrong way around somewhere. Additionally, that would be a smooth-looking, "modern" IDE cable, right? Pictures here:
http://simple.wikipe...amp;_80_pin.jpg

As for which should be the Master (HDD or DVD), that is argued, sometimes with some warmth. You can reverse the logic as easily as you can reverse the drives. I tend toward the HDD as Master, myself.

Please say when you are successful.

stacld

stacld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok I understand what your saying, to my understanding though I thought master and slave were only if they were connected to the same cable, I have 3 IDE connectors on my mobo and 2 are blue one is grey. I have them on cable select though so thats probably the problem. Thanks for the response I'm going to try it now!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can I ask what make and model is your MOBO?

stacld

stacld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
its is a foxconn 915P7AC-8KS, I'm about to give up this is way too frustrating.

stacld

stacld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
it recognizes the hd in the bios but not the cd-rom, i tried installing my os and it boots from the cd-rom, saying "press any key to boot from cd..." and i do thinking JACKPOT! but then once i go through the annoying microsoft crap it then tells me no hd found press any key to restart.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
So hd is on IDE 1
Cdrom is on IDE 2
Bios see's both the hd and the cdrom?
Bios is set to boot to cdrom first?
If hd is only drive on ide ribbon then depending on the drive you may not use a jumper at all.
On the hd there should be a schematic or printout of the jumper settings. Some need no jumper and others have a special settings for a single drive.

stacld

stacld

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
the jumpers are set correctly, the hd is set with no jumpers so its set at master/single drive and the dvd rom is set at master as well. I have the dvd rom connected to the pide connector, and the hd is connected to the side

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have the dvd rom connected to the pide connector, and the hd is connected to the side

Please explain as I don't understand

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts

I have the dvd rom connected to the pide connector, and the hd is connected to the side

Please explain as I don't understand

I think he means that his dvd rom is connected to the primary ide and the hd is connected to the secondary ide.

If that is the case try switching them around so the hd is on the primary and the dvd is on the secondary.

If still no luck go in to your bios and make sure all the IDE drive options (should be 4) are all on auto.

Edited by amw_drizz, 11 October 2009 - 07:43 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the clarification and the suggestion. I would have suggested the same.
Also XP has a nasty habit of not liking any other hd connected except the one the system is going to be installed on.
If you have any other ide devices connected then try disconnecting so that only the main hd and the cdrom are connected.

Also what about the two questions below that seem you missed for me

Bios see's both the hd and the cdrom?
Bios is set to boot to cdrom first?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Its a real funky board. One that I haven't seen before. The terminology is weird.
The manual does reference a "pide" (not a misprint) and "ide" connectors. It actually shows it as "pide, side1, side2" for the connectors.
I assume the 2 close together and numbered in the manual as # 19 are side1 and side2.
I assume the other 1 is the pide (# 10).

I would try 1 of the connectors labeled "side" since the manual states 133/100/66/33. I would put the hard drive on the end of the cable for the master location. I would put the DVD/CD in the middle location as slave. I would first try cable select, and if that does not work, I would set the jumpers as master (hard drive), and slave (DVD).

Foxconn Support for bios, manuals, drivers, etc