Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TV on PC

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Is there really any free programs out there that actually let you watch real tv channels on your pc? or even ones worth buying? Im not really looking to buy one, but i mean most people love tv and computers, so they are bound to combine them at some point.

Edited by drmoneejd, 10 October 2009 - 07:29 PM.

Advertisements

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I had TV reception on my computer for a while. It wasn't free, but it was cheap (on sale/clearance).
I was using a Win TV card, it even came with a remote control and sensor device. I also had cable
and a VCR/DVD player hooked up to my computer. It was great because my apartment was really
too small for both a TV and a computer, not to mention that my eyes prefer a flat screen, like my
monitor. I didn't set it up tho, so I can't help you to set it up. I was only responding to let you know
that it could be done. I have also heard that many shows and movies can be viewed by internet.

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 17 October 2009 - 06:43 AM.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
well i use netflix to watch some stuff, and i had thought about getting a tv to pc card to play video games(360/PS3) through my monitor, as it is also better than my tv, and the sound would be better i think. do you know if that would work?

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I don't know? I am not too versed in computer possibilities.
I have seen computers using TV monitors, so I expect that the
connection can go the other way around? *shrugs innocently*

I did find a TV card that is more schnazzy than the one I had.
It seems the one in this review can do more than my old one.

http://www.justechn....0-tv-tuner-card

Read the review comments at the bottom; a mention of gaming is made.
None too useful for your 360/PS3; but it makes me think it's possible.

You may be able to find an old one or a used one for under 30 bucks.
Mine was about 30 dollars on clearance, tho that was four years ago.

BTW, if your curiosity is mainly for gaming, then perhaps you should
try posting in the gaming section of this forum? It seems that some
people stick to the places on the forum that are their specialties?
You might find someone with the expertise you need in that section?
I have nothing resembling expertise in anything computer related...
I just happen to be in this section because I was asking a question.
I get sidetracked with other posts, especially when awaiting answers.

Happy Gaming and Viewing!

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 19 October 2009 - 04:14 AM.

peaceandcheese

peaceandcheese

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i don't have cable so i watch tv online. there are quite a few DECENT sites that you can watch live streaming tv. check out the following sites (and if i am not allowed to post the following links, please remove them and let me know):

channelsurfing.net-posts links to live baseball, basketball, soccer (football), american football, mma, tennis, boxing matches as well as cnn (outside the u.s.), cartoon network (unsure where) and streaming movies that someone out there is showing (usually from justin.tv). also lists links to live streaming popular shows and networks like abc, nbc, cbs, fox, espn/espn2. if it's a big event like the oscars, emmy awards, mtv awards and such, they'll feature the links.

atdhe.net-same thing. lists live sports and live tv separately.

justin.tv-if you want to watch a movie, game or at least find reruns of shows like gang land, the simpsons, man vs. food, drawn together or even live streaming shows, this site will have it.

ustream.tv-usually just live shows and games but still entertaining.

wwitv.com-worldwide broadcasts of internet shows and sport events usually happening overseas. they have some live tv shows, too.

there are sites that tell you to buy their software but trust me, you don't need to spend the money if you are willing to be patient and look for the info. sometimes the broadcasts are interrupted due to heavy site use but just refresh or try another site. and if you just want to catch the shows you missed before then just check out the actual sites of the network the show is on or go to hulu and fancast.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
okay, thanks. i will stay on the look for Tuner cards, and check these websites out. you have both been of help. thank you :)

peaceandcheese

peaceandcheese

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
no prob. i think i'll add a full lists of tv sites if the moderators don't mind. i downloaded software before and found it really wasn't worth the trouble especially tvu software.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
okay cool. if you do, please post a shortcut to it on this forum, or at least tell where you put it. thanks :)