Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

STOP 0x00000024 error message

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm guessing that this is a hard drive issue so I apologize to the mods if it is not a hardware issue.

My computer will not boot - not even in safe mode. It attempts start up and shuts itself down and attempts to restart only to loop endlessly. I cannot run Gateway recovery. It freezes.

After my pc attempts to start it flashes a blue error screen for about 1 second before it restarts. I managed to snap a blurry photo of it. You'll see the error STOP 0x00000024
Posted Image

I have a Gateway MX6920 laptop that is 3 years old. Prior to this happening, my dvd drive quit working (I posted about it here though I didn't get any responses http://www.geekstogo...e-t253912.html) so I cannot run any kind of discs. (even still the only disc my pc came with is the "operating system")

I tried to find a usb-to-usb so that I could connect it to my husband's pc (which is a desktop) in hopes that I could explore my drive and see if it was possible to run a chkdisc on it but I cannot find any proper cables. Is this my only option other than taking it to a computer repair store? My fear is that taking it to a computer repair store will cost almost as much as just buying a new laptop.

THANK YOU FOR ANY & ALL ADVICE. I am completely without a computer while this is in effect. (thank goodness for my iphone which has been my saving grace through this)

Edited by CrystalSC, 11 October 2009 - 08:03 PM.

• 34,114 posts
Hello CrystalSC.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

I'm going to address the original post first about your dvd drive.
That drive has died and needs to be replaced.
The good news is that they are not that expensive to replace.
A external USB drive will run about 60.00 dollars.

The next issue is the error message.
Usually associated with the NTFS file system on the HD.
It can possibly be fixed but without the dvd drive it is going to be hard to do.
There is a way to see if the data itself is safe and can be backed up.
This would require you to purchase a external drive enclosure for a 2.5 hard drive.
You will have to make sure you get the right connection type for your hard drive.
The connection to another system should probably be USB also as most systems has USB on them now.