Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop cord storage

• Please log in to reply

Silverpoet34

Silverpoet34

• Pip
  • 3 posts
As a college student Im forced to carry around my laptop,10lbs. of books and all my accessories on a daily basis. My problem is that along with my netbook I also carry around my external harddrive, and my external cd/dvd drive. So this leaves me with having to put all of these power and usb cables in my bag and its often a tight squeeze that could be harmful to the lifespan of my cords. So does anyone know of anything thats made just for this problem of storing cords that wont put them in a compromising situation? Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
wear them loosely around your neck as some kind of avant guard nerd jewlery?

there are a lot of cable management tools out there...but very few are terribly effective for mobile computing...

for the usb cables...you can get retractable usb cables that are great for travel...just press a button and they wind up into the case

the power cables...you'll just have to get creative...a piece of wood or cardboard shaped like an H that's long enough to make sure that the bend in the cable isn't too close to the "brick" on the cord (the power converter) usually does the trick....if you make it thicker with rounded corners in the center of the "H" then you can enlarge the turning radius of the wrap in the cord which will make the bend much less severe...but this will add size and bulk to the packing of the cord.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Along the same line as you are talking. How about a briefcase with a H made out of plywood for compartments.
Each just big enough to hold a power supply and\or connections.
Keeps them in order and makes you look sharp while carrying them. :) :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
my vote is still for wearing the cords as jewelry...you'll get mad nerd cred

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

:)
Might even start a new trend. 60's and the large jewelry they wore.
Oh yeah I can see it now. The newest item in QVC's jewelery line is the HP power supply from the old deskjet printers. Bulky yes but guaranteed to protect you from a attacker. :) :)

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
ROFL!

If you don't want to WEAR it as jewelry, you can still treat it like jewelry, teehee...

It may or may not work for the OP, but when I have traveled in the past with my tech things, I used
to pack my cords into a jewelry travel case (Kaboodles brand, I think); Target has had a wide array
of case shapes and sizes in the past. I bet that a hardware store/art supply store would have travel
cases meant for other things that would work for your cord packing needs, and won't look too frilly.

Edited by NomDeKeyz, 29 October 2009 - 12:57 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I have been guilty of this in the past, when I am overloaded with stuff.

I vote you get a bigger bag. :)