Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading a dinosaur

• Please log in to reply

Juskonig

Juskonig

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all, I recently upgraded an old desktop system I have so that I can use it for Photoshop and Lightroom (photography editing), its primarily all I will be using it for. I'm a retard when it comes to PC's, here are my specs and what I have done so far;

The info I have to help is.
I'm running Windows Xp
Currently have a Intel Pentium 4 2.8oGhz "Prescott"
Socket 478 mPGA, 90nm (not sure what else nedds to be said here)
My Mobo is DELL OTC667

So over the weekend, my buddy who is a bit more tech savvy, helped me to upgrade the RAM to 2G (1G each socket), after which I updated the video card NVidia 512MB DDR2 8400GS (whatever that means) I have 1 PCI slot left (open).

So basically having done this the system runs well, but still its a little sticky when loading pics into CS4, particularly when transferring layers from Lightroom...I'd like to get rid of this lag and be able to work seamlessly. As you can tell I kinda "looked before I leapt" into this project, in hindsight I think maybe I shud have just gotten a new box. However, if I can upgrade the CPU and have this all work out it would really be swell.

Please help me out, as you can see I am lost.... :)
If you guys need any further info I would be happy provide...

Thanks

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Realistically not worth upgrading.
The processors aren't available for it any longer.

knutm

knutm

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, for whatever it's worth, have a look at the various sites.

Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz SKT478 FSB800 512KB Cache OEM Processor * £37.38ex vat
* £42.99inc vat http://www.ebuyer.com/product/81385
A full list of processors ebuyer has that fit your mobo
http://www.ebuyer.co...t...&subcat=580

Still got some in stock, but you might want to double check that it will fit your motherboard. Its slower however. A 2nd hand or full re-build with older components could probably be a more viable option and within a reasonable budget.

Edited by knutm, 12 October 2009 - 04:12 PM.

Juskonig

Juskonig

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks mate, actually ordered this CPU INTEL|P4 3.0E 478 1M 90N ROHS today ...should get it tomorrow and then may get a lil reprieve with the performance...