Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Master and Slave

• Please log in to reply

danny251

danny251

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I want to set my dvd burner to master. The drive that is set at master just now is my cd-rw how do i do it? :tazz:

Thanks for any replies recieved

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
There is a jumper on some pins on the back of the drive. Moving the jumper selects master/slave per the manufacturers specifications usually posted on the drive. :tazz:

danny251

danny251

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanls for the reply.

Do you mean a small lead running from the mobo to the back of the drive?

if yes i cant get that lead out of the master drive to put it onto the slave one

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You should see a wide flat ribbon cable that runs from the motherboard to the drive. This should be easily removable from the drive. The only small cable running from mobo to drive would be the audio cable. This is small & round & often has a black plug on the end. It will connect to the drive on the opposite side to the power cable. The audio cable allows you to play music CDs etc & doesn't require moving just because you are changing the master/slave configuration.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
also, make sure it is secondary master ide (ribbon) cable and jumper is set to master.

Nixx