Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop Keyboard weirdness

• Please log in to reply

rcramm

rcramm

• PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I was working on a Laptop computer and the problem was the keyboard wasn't working at all. No keys would work so I tested to see if it was a Windows issue by going into Dell Diagnostics and testing the keyboard through there and all the keys worked fine. I went into Device manager to see if there might be a problem but everything looked normal. I then loaded into safe mode and tested the keyboard there. It still didn't work. I then tried a usb keyboard to see if that would work. It worked fine so I then unplugged the keyboard and tried the laptop keyboard and to my very big surprise it worked. I restarted into normal mode and it still worked. I then restarted again and it continued to work so far this looks like I'm toting my own horn a bit but now for the question.

How could this have possibly worked? The custmer is going to ask how this fixed the problem and I like to be prepared with an answer and for this the best I have is it's just Windows being Windows.

I tried a google search and trying to pick through the keyboard issues is a very daunting task. Any answers would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

NeonFx

NeonFx

Malware Removal Dude

• Expert
  • 3,798 posts
This is conjecture, but it makes sense logically:

Using the USB keyboard probably forced Windows to recognize it as the default keyboard, not being able to talk to the original one. When you unplugged the USB one and restarted, Windows had to technically look for a new keyboard to set as default, and create all new settings for whatever it found. You probably forced a "reset" of the keyboard settings by doing what you did, and fixed the problem by doing so.

Edited by NeonFx, 14 October 2009 - 04:16 PM.

rcramm

rcramm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts
I like it and I think that's as good of a theory as I've seen.