Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to exit IBM "Rescue and Recovery"

• Please log in to reply

prharp

prharp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an IBM T42 Thinkpad. It was running very sluggishly so I removed all data files and then used the set of 7 CDs (called "Rescue and Recovery with Rapid Restore") to restore the factory contents. I received a message indicating the process was successful and instructing me to restart the computer. I removed the CD and restarted the computer. Unfortunately, the computer opens up with the same "Rescue and Recovery with Rapid Restore" window, instead of to regular windows desktop.

Next I successfully reloaded the set of 7 CDs, and left the ending CD in the drive when restarting. Same result.

I know the CD set is ok because I used them successfully 2.5 years ago when my hard drive went out under warranty. I followed the same instruction sheet, but for some reason cannot get it to boot to Windows.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by prharp, 12 October 2009 - 02:58 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
The set of CDs don't actually install Windows... they install the Rescue and Recovery software.

After you pull the last CD out, and your computer restarts, hit the "blue" Access IBM button as it starts up. Choose to restore to factory condition or whatever it's called... sorry, I don't have R&R on my T42 at the moment. In any case, once you choose to restore, R&R will run through the entire process again and this time install Windows.

prharp

prharp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Makai, THANKS!!! I was able to try your suggestion earlier today and it worked. I really appreciate your help. I am wondering if I could ask you one more thing?

Seems like Microsoft Office must be on my PC since I received the success message after loading the CDs....but I just can't find it. Any suggestions as to how I could get these applications back?

Just for reference: There are 8 CDs in the set I used. There is one called "Rescue and Recovery with Rapid Restore". Then there are 7 called "Product Recovery CD".

Thanks again for your generosity in answering these questions!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Makai, THANKS!!! I was able to try your suggestion earlier today and it worked. I really appreciate your help. I am wondering if I could ask you one more thing?

Seems like Microsoft Office must be on my PC since I received the success message after loading the CDs....but I just can't find it. Any suggestions as to how I could get these applications back?

Just for reference: There are 8 CDs in the set I used. There is one called "Rescue and Recovery with Rapid Restore". Then there are 7 called "Product Recovery CD".

Thanks again for your generosity in answering these questions!

You're welcome! Unfortunately, MS Office is not a part of the Thinkpad software. If you had Office at one time, then it must have been installed separately as it comes on it's own CD.