Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did i fry my CPU?

• Please log in to reply

Roeschaart

Roeschaart

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello,

I bought an aftermarket cooler today. After installing it i started my PC but when windows was finished loading it crashed. Turns out i forgot to plug in the CPU fan, DOH.

After pluggin it in i tried to boot into windows but it keeps crashing.
It always crashes at the same moment, windows finishes loading but instead of the welcome screen i get a BSOD for a split second ( too fast to make out what it says ) and the PC shuts down.

I assume i fried the CPU? It still shows up fine in the BIOS though, with normal temps this time :).
Could this have affected other components perhaps?

I already tried reinstalling windows but i cant make it to the end of the installation proces.

Any help is much appreciated.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello Roeschaart.... Welcome to GeeksToGo, :) :) :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time. Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly then.

I don't believe for the length of time the system was running that you damaged the cpu.
Most cpu's have internal shutdown built in to keep heat from damaging them.
Let's see if we can get the BSOD message to stop first. That may tell us alot. Please follow the next steps to get the information.

BSOD outside of Windows

• Start your system and at the Second post screen tap on F8 to get to the Boot Menu
  • Use the Arrow Keys to Scroll down to the line that says "Auto Start On Error" and highlight it.
  • Click Enter to disable it
  • The system should reboot and if not then do so.
  • When the BSOD shows it will stop so that you can reply with the STOP ERROR and any parameters.

Roeschaart

Roeschaart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
hey,

Thanks for the fast reply. I won't be able to that till tomorrow morning, its getting late here at the other side of the ocean :) I'll update as soon as possible.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok thanks for the update. No problem as we will wait for your results.

Roeschaart

Roeschaart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Here's a pic of the BSOD. Looks like a gfx card problem? Can this be caused by an overheating CPU?

Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes and most likely is due to being underpowered or failure with the drivers.
Is your graphics card built onboard or is it a add-on card?
What model ATI card if the latter?
When was the last time you updated drivers?
Was there anything else done to the system besides changing the CPU cooler?

Roeschaart

Roeschaart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi again,

I managed to install windows with a different gfx card, didnt encounter any errors. I also ran prime95 for about 30 mins with no errors. I think its safe to say the CPU or motherboard wasn't damaged.

Is your graphics card built onboard or is it a add-on card? add-on
What model ATI card if the latter? Ati Radeon HD4850
When was the last time you updated drivers? latest catalyst drivers
Was there anything else done to the system besides changing the CPU cooler? I changed the motherboard as well, but i tested the system with the stock cooler before changing to the aftermarket cooler. It was working fine.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I managed to install windows with a different gfx card, didnt encounter any errors. I also ran prime95 for about 30 mins with no errors. I think its safe to say the CPU or motherboard wasn't damaged.

Are you saying everything is working correctly now?
Did you use the other GFX to load windows and then put in the ATI card and the problem started?
Not sure what the current status is now?

Roeschaart

Roeschaart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
2 hours ago I installed windows with my brothers GFX card (ati x1650) to test wether the gfx card is the problem. That worked without errors.

Then i replugged my own card (ati HD4850) and the BSOD showed up again. So something is definitely wrong with my HD4850. If only i knew what and wether its fixable.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is the fan turning on your card when you start the system?
When you reloaded did you load the drivers for your card or your brothers card?
How old is your card?

Roeschaart

Roeschaart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Ok, it seems like i fixed the problem.

I plugged the card into the other PCI-e slot and it boots just fine.
Could the CPU fan incident have caused a malfunction in the PCI-e slot?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Highly unlikely but stranger issues have happened.
Check the slot for burn marks which will be very evident.
Is there dust or dirt build up in the slot which would have caused the card to become unseated?
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you.

Roeschaart

Roeschaart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for all the help! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible