Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell locks up after POST

• Please log in to reply

Cubanlinx

Cubanlinx

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hey guys

Ive been here before and you guys are the best..

I recently reformatted my system and bought a new HDD and started from scratch (malware wiped me out) a month ago

My system was fine until yesterday...

I shut my laptop cover and the system I guess went into standby

ITs still there...

Now, the Dell screen flashes and then POST passes then nothing.... it just sits there. Ive never seen this before espcially after I did NOTHING wrong to it.

Maybe used a USB port that night but that was it... what happened? do I have to reformat again..??

I cant get into Windows at all... and even tried to reinstall it.. then same thing happens

Thanx - appreciate it..

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it seems that the system isn't detecting your hard drive....can you check in BIOS to see if it's detecting the drive?

Cubanlinx

Cubanlinx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hey

I look in BIOS and look under system --> Device Info

I saw that it says:

PRimary Hard DRive: 137 GB HDD

But, my HDD is a 250 GB with only about 20 GB used - is that bad?

Also, it will not charge my battery and says that my AC Adapter is unknown... its Idle with 0% charged... Ive even swapped out batteries to one that I thought was fully charged only to have the system shut down due to no power (battery power).

BTW i have dell inspiron 9300 notebook Win XP media edition 2005

Thanx