Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Black screen with a blinking cursor

• Please log in to reply

supafeet

supafeet

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,
I was surfing on the net and simutaneously trying to open some photos in photoshop on my older Inspiron 5150. It froze, and I rebooted as I have done a million times. Only this time when it started back up it went to a black screen with a blinking cursor. I can't do anyting in this screen (no f2 or f12). When I force shut down again, it seems to do a quick shut down, and then just opens right back to the black screen ( I never see a logo or normal opening sequence when rebooting, therefore I can't get into safe mode).

Can anybody help me?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by supafeet, 12 October 2009 - 08:07 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello supafeet...

Do you have an XP installation cd?

This can be caused by a number of things, but I rather suspect some sort of file system corruption. To straighten that out, we'll need Recovery Console...which is on the XP cd.

wannabe1