Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scandisk wont start

• Please log in to reply

Noxuria

Noxuria

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I will post my problem below and am obviously hoping that one of you guys will be able to help me out:

I have WinXP SP3 on a fairly new (about 1 month) custom build PC and last night when I tried to run ScanDisk (for the first time on this machine actually) it wouldn't work. Now usually when one selcets Scandisk it prompts you that it will do it on restart, not the case here, it simply says Windows could not complete the check and my only option is to press OK.
I have tried various things like from the cmd i typed chkdsk c:/f and it said it would run it on startup, but never does.

I then used the Windows Recovery console (booting from xp disk) and managed to get the Scandisk to work with the following command: chkdsk c:/r
It finished the scandisk and did repair some stuff, but in Windows it now still wont let me run a Scandisk, why??

I tried other things I got from some other places like this SFC /scannow which also didn't help and now I am getting this Windows File Protection (wanting to run that scan or whatever) Pop-up everytime I log on, what to do???

I really do not wanna format as I have a 500gig hdd and its almost full and I would loose all my stuff (and no i cant back it up anywhere). The only thing i haven't tried (that I know of) is running Windows Repair, you guys think this would help, please let me know and thanks in advance!!!

Advertisements

Noxuria

Noxuria

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I should also add that I put it in this section as I believe it is Mailware/Virus related.

I say this, because it all started (I think) when I downloaded this supposed free version on Driver Detective.
When I then clicked it to install in started extracting to Windows/system or something and I immediately tried to close it, but everything on the PC froze up, so I hit the restart button and bam, the beginning of my problems :)
Please help!!!