Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Control Panel Havoc

• Please log in to reply

edvaisvilas

edvaisvilas

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My XP on a Dell takes forever to boot up, meaning a good 10-15 minutes. The little green "reading" light is constantly on during the boot process. My desktop icons won't stay put, even though I've done all the locking/grid stuff you're supposed to do. I get an error when I try to change my theme to Windows Classic ("The theme could not load. Unspecified error."). The latest thing happening is an error box saying it cannot find "null". My font settings have been changed. All my recently used apps in my Start menu have gone AWOL. For awhile my wallpaper wouldn't stay put, and actually disappeared from the pull-down list, so I would have to browse to re-apply it. That, for now, is staying where I put it.
I have run, in safe mode with restore turned off, Avast; Spybot Search and Destroy; Adaware. I thought removing IE7 may have caused my problems, as I use Firefox for virtually everything, so I have just been to the M$ site to reinstall it. I just downloaded Hijackthis, because it was recommended in forums I've read, but don't have a clue what to do with it. I had it scan and got what is in the attachment included in this post.
Oh, and before anyone asks, I don't visit "those" sites. :)
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Attached Files

Advertisements