Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

startup problems

• Please log in to reply

maddunk

maddunk

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:tazz: my computer is really taking the biscuit as far as starting up is concerned. It boots to the desktop screen pretty quick but it takes about 3 minutes for the icons to appear. I've used windows startup inspector to cut down the number of startup programmes booting up.

ive also used regscrub and norton windoctor but to no avail. I tested out a programme called pcmightymax which detected a SERIOUS startup error but it costs a lot of money to get the activasion key to fix it. Any ideas are appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
What OS? In xp you can run msconfig and remove programs from startup. Far too many put themselves in startup automatically just to "help" you, but in reality it slows boot up and eats up system resources.

maddunk

maddunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
windows xp. done msconfig only about six startup programmes on can access these using windows startup inspector. I think this might be a missing file error possably.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
look at task manager processes and performance and see if you can identify which one is taking up excessive processor time.

maddunk

maddunk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
im familiar with task manager but not what all of the 46 processes mean. i've also noticed that the cpu is notactive all the time often hanging at 0%