Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP won't let me into Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply

Rubyruth

Rubyruth

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I posted the following onto another forum where I am studying a computer technicial course! :) I've only just started the course so need as much help as I can get!

Windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup CD Rom.
Select ‘r’ at the first screen to start repair.
Restarted pc with windows disk in – doesn’t autorun so went F12 then scrolled down to CDROM. Disk then loads files and stuff.
I selected the repair option. Chose 1 as my windows to log on (was the only option). Then got C:\Windows> at this point I bottled it and just exited from this and walked away.
Is it just a case of delete C:\windows\system32\config\system
Followed by copy C:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system ?

First response I got was C:/,type in CHKDSK /R

My reply was this .....
I did the CHKDSK thing and it didn’t cure the problem and now I think I’ve made the problem worse. A colleague at work directed me to http://support.micro.....Ben-us;307545

I unfortunately was doing this late last night when I should’ve been in bed and I know for a fact I did step 5 wrong – typed it wrong didn’t change each bit after the \config\. I figured this morning I’d give it another try and see if I could re-do the steps. I got the PC to boot up from the CD and went into the Repair Console it asked me for an administrator password (which it didn’t last night when I did the chkdisk – but did after the chkdisk had finished) I pressed enter and was told the password was invalid (I did this last night and it accepted it ok.) I re started the PC and missed pressing the F12 and it went to the Safemode window so I tried starting in safe mode it then came up with a page of multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\and various things after this. Then after a few minutes it restarted itself, went to safe mode window again so I tried last known configuration and it did the same. Have I well and truly messed it up? My colleague is now saying reformat it is the only way to go but I was hoping it wouldn’t come to that just yet (and its good practise for the course!!)

Please can someone offer some more info....I've printed off the stuff about repairing XP but I want to know how to get past the admin password bit.... :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First of all you need to change the boot sequence so the cdrom is first
Second was there ever a Admin pw setup?
If not then you should be able to just click enter and it will continue.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

Rubyruth

Rubyruth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Hi Rshaffer, I had already printed off that link before I put the post on here, but thanks anyway :) . I followed the steps and didn't need a password this time, but instead of getting the repair option I got the following 3 options - Setup, create a partition or delete a partition. And underneath that it said the following

476938 MB Disk0 at Id0 on bus0 on atapi(MBR)
C: Partition1 [NTFS] 476930MB (421420 MB Free)
Unpartitioned Space 8MB

From this I'm guessing there is nothing to repair as such and I will loose everything on there? Not too bothered if this happens, but what do I do next? Do I go with the Setup option?

Oh and if its any help on my pc tower it says OEM software and the key no, and I also have the windows disk that came with the pc.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
From the specs you have posted it looks like the drive is cleaned and empty.
At this step you should chose Setup and then follow the prompts.
Word of advice...if you are using dsl or cable broadband make sure when asked that you allow XP to setup the network during all this.
That way everything should start right up.
Just a common mistake a lot of people make.
Good luck and I'll be monitoring for your results or more questions :)

Rubyruth

Rubyruth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Word of advice...if you are using dsl or cable broadband make sure when asked that you allow XP to setup the network during all this.
That way everything should start right up.
Just a common mistake a lot of people make.
Good luck and I'll be monitoring for your results or more questions :)

Our broadband is with Orange and we have the Wanadoo Livebox (Orange bought Wanadoo) I have it set up as wireless connection through the livebox do I still have to allow XP to setup the network? Will it be obvious to me how to set this up if I need to?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Even with wireless the wireless adaptor will need to be configured with the network setup.
So yes you still will have to do it.
During the XP setup it will ask if you want the network to be installed.
Just say yes and XP should do the rest.

Rubyruth

Rubyruth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Woohoo, everything looks ok now. Have checked quickly through this morning before work and it looks as though most of the programs are still there its just the documents and photos that have been lost.

Thanks for all your help on this one, I shall spend the weekend adding all the missing stuff on there now! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you. With that being said I am happy to say:

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed me to assist you with your issue and for your patience. Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.

If other members are reading this and have a similar problem please begin a New Topic and someone will assist you as soon as possible

Rubyruth

Rubyruth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Not sure if I should continue here or add this as a new topic......

I downloaded and installed Avira free personal use antivirus and have updated it, then I went on to Windows update and updated everything that needed doing (56 updates!) now for some reason Device manager won't display. It opens ok but only displays an error message - something like this page cannot be loaded (sorry I'm at work now and can't remember what it said. Also my beloved teenage son has tried to set up a network instead of setting up the internet with the cd from our ISP! We can access the internet ok but the logo for our wireless adaptor (inventel) shows us there is no adaptor connected...any ideas how I might cure that as well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sorry to hear about the latest issue.
Once the updates from Microsoft were done installing did it have you reboot?
If possible please open device manager and take a screenshot of it. Include it with your next reply.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

As far as you ISP problem if the internet is working even with the notice then I believe the problem must lay with the software itself.
Have you tried to right click on the icon and see if there is a Status or Repair option available?
Can you let me know what it shows for options when you right click on the icon please?

Advertisements

Rubyruth

Rubyruth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
How do I add a picture?

Regards the wireless adaptor there is no status or repair button on it, when I right click I get
Setup . . .
Disconnect (is greyed out)
Configure your access point (also greyed out)
Quit
About WLANCfg

Is there away of maybe deleting all the internet connectionc and starting again from scratch? my son thinks he set it up as a wireless network! We only have one pc so hardly need a network :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes you can start from scratch.
First question is what type of internet connection are you using?
  • Dialup
  • Dsl
  • Cable
  • Satellite

This will help me in setting up the correct type.
To delete the existing one you would need to go to

Control Panel and then to
Network Connections and then right click on the Local Area connection or what ever the entry is there and then [b]Disable it.

I will wait for your answer to the above.

Rubyruth

Rubyruth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Well, I can tell you what it isn't :)
It isn't dial up, cable or satelite so I guess that means its DSL. All I know it as is broadband lol!

Will wait for your instructions before I delete as I need to know how to get back on the internet!

Hopefully I've attached a pic of what I get when I open device manager. Any thoughts on that?

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please go to the local area network connections and if you can get me a screenshot of it.
I take it then you have a wired connection the modem for your DSL?
In other words there is a ethernet wire that runs from the DSL modem to the back of your computer?

Rubyruth

Rubyruth

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Its a wireless connection from the pc in one room to the modem in the room next door.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled2.JPG