Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Missing Menu Bar in Vista IE

• Please log in to reply

Mr.E

Mr.E

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Got a problem that I hope someone can help me with. A friend of a friend of a friend of mine owns a motorcycle shop and they have a website online that they direct all of their customers to. This website has a menu bar at the top of it that is vital to navigation between sections of the website. However, It would seem that this menu bar plays hookie and doesn't show up on vista machines running IE. I am not sure if this is a particular version of IE but it only seems to happen on Vista machines. I work off of an XP Pro machine and the menu bar comes up just fine for that page. But my laptop at the house is Vista Ultimate (64 bit.. booo) and the menu will not show up when in IE. Normally I don't us IE so I checked it out in firefox and the menu bar will show in firefox. I got the source code for the page from the site in each of the browsers to see if maybe IE was omitting a part of it(not sure if it can make that choice or not) and the source codes are exactly the same as far as i can tell, of course with the exception of an extra blank line here or there.

Would anyone have an idea of why the menubar would show in one browser and not the other or further why it would show in one OS and not the other (disreguarding the fact that microsoft cant keep a consistently built OS)..

Much thanks for any help given..!

Edit: I suppose I could give the web address so that you can go see the site that I am talking about and experiment with the menu bar. This is the site that is giving trouble. (moderators - very sorry if this is breaking forum posting rules. I thought that it would be ok to post the link as it is needed in troubleshooting this problem... Hard to help if you can't see the problem... :) )

Edited by Mr.E, 13 October 2009 - 10:51 AM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It's totally website issue. Someone created the site in MS Word:

Posted Image

so...the site needs a total redo.

Mr.E

Mr.E

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Oooooh.. Ha they arent going to like that at all.. Ok Well I'll relay the bad news.

Edit: I didn't even realize Word had HTML capabilities... Since the HTML class I took I have always played around in Notepad2.. Of course I am very much a novice (n00b) at HTML. but i do know a couple of things. I made up a nice looking form for the Community College I was going to at the time that they now use for Admission enrollment :)

This instance I didnt look too closely at the source code itself other than to compare it from one browser to the other.

Another Edit: Just because I know I am going to be asked this, is there not any way to get this working even though it has been designed in MS Word? or is a completely HTML redesign absolutely necessary? Is there not a function to include compatibility for all the different browsers? Again, I don't know too terribly much about HTML so sory if these are terribly dumb questions...

OK i am done editing this post...

Edited by Mr.E, 14 October 2009 - 07:19 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You'd have to ask someone, who knows much more about creating web pages, than I do.
I'm not an expert at all.
There is an issue about using VML, which is supported by IE only, but not other browsers.