Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

i explorer crashes at statup with memory and unable to find adress err

• Please log in to reply

charliewykes

charliewykes

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Hi,

Switched on an XP laptop not used for some months. It began downloading and installing updates including ie8. Unfortunately the power went off half way through and now when using ie it launches several windows with error messages saying it cannot find http://xxxxxxx (where xxxxxxx is various symbols - usualy squares). Sometimes there are messages about 'instruction at xxx referenced memory at xxxx.

Closing these messages causes another ie window to open with more messages. Only way to stop it all is to terminate the ie process.

I've tried uninstalling ie8 from the control panel - still had the same problem. I reinstalled ie 8 (after downloading the install file to another pc) with no luck so uninstalled again.

McAfee Security Centre (updated today) reports no virus.

Any suggestions - I'm happy to run scanning software but they can't be web based unless I can get another browser to install and run...

Thanks

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try system restore to some date from before the problem?

charliewykes

charliewykes

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Ha - I'm an idiot, that seems to have worked fine- although did weird things to my mcAfee instalation but was able o reinstal that Ok

many thanks :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Sure thing :)