Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to block or disable usb flash memories from a computer

• Please log in to reply

cmdbanzai

cmdbanzai

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hey guys...

i'm new here, i just wanna introduce my self and ask a question.
i'm a 25 years old guy working as a computer engineer.

i have a question... how can i block a usb flash memory from a computer or disable it so our users can't use their flash memories and spread their viruses?! i just wanna disable the flash memory not all the usb portsv.

any software or a method from the windows xp it self does that?!

thanks in advance :) .

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Flash memory is something that's plugged into a USB port so I'm not aware of any way to stop this on its own without disabling all of the USB ports.
A better solution if you're concerned (and you're right to be) about infections would be to have anti-virus software on all the computers.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hello cmdbanzai and welcome to G2G!

There is software that you can get that enables you to lock down USB and other ports on your PC/network. This type of software varies in cost and capabilities.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...there's nothing free that will allow you to do explicit device control (i.e. you can use this usb device but not this one)...there are ways of completely disabling the usb ports that are free (or closer to free)...but that's not what you want here it seems