Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing Internet USB around the home?

• Please log in to reply

AusClassic

AusClassic

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have USB internet. Is it possible to utilize USB internet on two computers at the same time using some hub?
The USB is Australian Virgin broadband internet. It can only be plugged into only one USB port. I am not sure what sort of hub or USB connection I will need. Once plugged in I use a program from Virgin to activate the broadband. I would like to connect both my laptop and desktop computer to the internet at the same time. So should I just stop being tight and get different internet?

I asked someone else this and they told me this...

It's a 3G usb modem. It has a 3G sim card inside. It's possible to get a standalone 3G modem, with inbuilt wifi router. Modern laptops have inbuilt wifi. You can get a wifi USB dongle for the desktop. Plug the Virgin sim into the modem; voila!

There are some problems with this help:

My laptop picks up on wireless internet, but of course doesn't pick up on my USB internet when I plug it into a desktop computer.

What is a USB dongle?

I can't get the sim card out of the USB, so therefore I cannot plug the sim into a modem.

To clarify...I want to be able to plug the USB internet into assumably my desktop and be able to somehow connect the laptop to the same internet. I am happy to provide any other information

Edited by AusClassic, 13 October 2009 - 09:52 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so this is CELLULAR broadband? i.e. it's like internet with a cell phone...not through like a phone line or a cable modem or anything like that right?

is this the modem you've got? https://www.virginmo.../broadband.aspx (the little usb guy?)

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can get routers that can use a cellular broadband connection and share that between the computers.
However some packages on this type of connection have low monthly limits and they're not as fast as most landline solutions.

AusClassic

AusClassic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi dsenette, yes that is the internet. I tried to see if perhaps my actual stick was a different model, simply because it is black, but I couldn't find an alternate. I would suggest it is exactly the same.

In Australia we don't say cellular, we say mobile. Cell phone = mobile phone. So I may have misinterpreted the title 'mobile broadband' I didn't realise it used the phone network to transfer data. Interesting. Yes it is cellular internet then

Neil - the limit is only 5Gig per month, however I am kind of stuck with it for awhile so I was hoping to at least be able to get both me and my girlfriend online to do school work etc. at the same time, without getting another. If I was going to outlay that much I would of got TPG 80Gig for $50/month. *hit head* I should of.

What sort of router?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i looked on the virgin site and they don't have much info at all (that link i showed you was it)....a lot of wireless providers in north america are offering cellular (mobile) routers as part of their equipment packages for broadband (like this)

the "routers" that neil mentioned are like this contraption....you would basically just plug in your little modem thing (the usb job) into this...then connect to it wirelessly from any wireless capable device

AusClassic

AusClassic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok...thank you for your help by the way.

Virgin don't seem to be that advanced.
Do you speculate that if I got a router like the one you have shown me
that it'd work. That I could broadcast the USB cellular broadband to other computers?

AusClassic

AusClassic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

After activation the MiFi 2200 will work as a modem when it's connected to a computer, or a router when disconnected.

In modem mode with the VZAccess Manager software, it provides an Internet connection to only the computer to which it is physically connected.

In router mode, however, it automatically connects itself to the Internet and shares that connection wirelessly to up to five other Wi-Fi devices. This mode works just like any other wireless router and clients can just pick up its signal automatically.

sourced from: http://reviews.cnet....7-33658722.html

So in modem mode only one computer can have the internet?
& in router mode, the computers I want to connect all have to have wifi, is that correct?

Edited by AusClassic, 15 October 2009 - 06:00 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the mifi thing is ONLY for verizon...so you'd have to have verizon service for it to work

the other thing i linked to (from tiger direct) is supposed to let you just plug your modem into it and it will allow you to share the connection across multiple computers...