Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Driver Issue, ATI Radeon 9800

• Please log in to reply

Dresden

Dresden

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello. First off, love the site, love the name, love everything. I'm Dresden, I'll be presenting you with your headache today.

I recently found out that my Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop is actually quite the little gamester. Upon playing a few games I had wanted to for a few years now, I decided it was time to try some of the big boys. Games that require a 9800 as it's minimum requirement.

problem is my Driver is stuck as a 9700. Upon acquiging Driver Genius I hoped my problems were over, but they were not. Once I got the correct driver, I get an error message "Error Extracting Support Files: Interface Not Registered"

I should probably mention that before I tried to get a new driver, but after I found out that I need a different one, I got a BSOD related to the sptd.sys. after I defeated it, I..erm..Deleted ati radeon 9700 somehow, so I found a replacement.. ATI Mobility Radeon 9600/9700. After this I acquired various registry fixers such as CCleaner and Regcure. After I run Regcure there are empty keys that keep coming back after supposedly being repaired... sometimes well over 100.

So, any advice would be great at this point. Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ignore everything that RegCure and friends tell you. Please do not use these programs, they cause more problems than they solve.
The driver isn't going to change the fact that you only have a 9700 in that laptop. Graphics cards are not upgradable in a laptop and unless you spent a small fortune on said laptop, it's not going to be a gaming laptop.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Neil Jones is completely correct.
A laptop has a built on graphics card. There is no way physically to change that or to put a different card into the system.
Changing the driver will not change the fact that you have a 9700 series card.
As you have seen loading the wrong driver will cause issues with your system.
Best suggestion in the situation is to purchase a laptop for just gaming or restrict what games you play on your existing laptop.

Dresden

Dresden

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hmm. Well that may be, but why then can't I install the original ATI Radeon 9700? I downloaded the drivers for that and still get the same error message. And I should mention, the friend I bought this from confirmed that it ran a 9800 before his son hit it the wrong way. The laptop was returned to him running a 9700.

Any thoughts? I would really like to get back to standard 9700 instead of 9600/9700.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to the Dell Drivers Page and download the 9700 driver.
There are two of them so I suggest getting them both. This will ensure you have the original and the newest one.
There is also two for the 9800 there.
If you want you can get those also. This way if you install the 9700 driver and everything works correctly then you can try to install the 9800.
If it works great and if not you have the all then.
I suggest burning the drivers to a disk so you can have them,
What you may have to do is to boot into save mode and then uninstall the video drivers through the device manager. Then reboot back to normal mode to load the correct drivers.