Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

After Windows Update, failure to startup/logon

• Please log in to reply

ryoji.kun

ryoji.kun

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello everyone,

I'm running Windows XP Media Center Edition on a Lenovo Thinkpad, T61. A few hours ago, I ran Windows System Update, and was told to restart my computer, and so I did--though not before also taking some updates Lenovo's update program wanted me to run and installing them, too. After restarting, my computer booted up as normal, getting all the way to right before the logon screen, where I got BSoD'd with the following error:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process terminated unexpectedly with a status of . . . etc. etc. (goes off the screen)
f 0xc0000139 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

After showing me the screen, the computer reboots and tries to boot again, but it always comes to the same error.

I've tried running in Safe Mode, with and without command line, and also tried to run from a Ubuntu Live USB (though my BIOS doesn't seem to recognize it despite my BIOS being USB-boot-enabled); I also borrowed a friend's Window XP CD (I'm at college and I didn't bring mine) but I couldn't boot that up, either (does it have anything to do with the fact that the CD is for SP2 and mine is Media Center?). Is there anything else I can do that will allow me to login my computer again? At the very least, I'd like to make a backup of my current hard drive so I can possibly do a fresh install, if worst comes to worst, but I don't know how to do that either.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Hsieh, who is horribly confused

Advertisements