Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Phenom II x4 940 worth the upgrade?

• Please log in to reply

Muddyspartan

Muddyspartan

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an AM2+ board, 4 x 1 gb or ram, and a HD 4870 512mb, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ 3.2, 2 x 22" wide screens, Vista 64 (planning to get Widows 7).

A new I7 build would be real nice but out of my budget right now.

Looking at upgrades instead would a AMD Phenom II x4 940 3.0 (150-170 bucks) be worth it for another year+ on my current setup. Some graphs I've read says its better but I've read windows scores it lower, but how accurate is windows?

Mostly use this to play WOW, and just cause you can doesn't mean I wanna run it on a crappy system. WOW seems to like CPU and Ram more than GPU. But I do run 2 wide screens so..... And I usually have 3 or 4 things running at once.

I think a new quad core and a video card would help me feel not so behind the times but is it really gonna be worth it?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ignore the Windows Experience Index, when was the last time you bought anything with a "this program needs a Windows score of 2.5 or higher" on it? Exactly.

According to this:
http://www.tomshardw...ew-31696-6.html

Your 6400 ranks in the fifth tier down, so to make it worthwhile you need something from three tiers up or more so in your case a Phenom II x4 Black Edition 955 or 965 is a better upgrade.